PDA

View Full Version : head

donlite
10-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Has anyone tried having the tank on the main floor and all the filter system in the basement. Head must be a big concern and the system in the basement would have to be totally enclosed? I have purchased a overflow to make sure the tank is safe. Any comments would be great:question:

mark
10-05-2010, 02:22 AM
basement sumps are somewhat common (I've got one), not hard to do.

checkout the RC Basement sump (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769218) thread

whatcaneyedo
10-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Heres a short thread from this site http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66949

I don't know what you mean by totally enclosed. The only difference is you will need a pretty powerful pump to send water up a whole floor.

Fish Head
10-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Last house i had my 90g on the main floor and the sump in the furnace room. Ran 1.5" pvc hose to the tank and return back down. Cant remember what i had for my return pump. Made sure after i shut it off that sump had enough room for lines and tank to drain back in.Floor got wet a few times until i figured everything out. Not allowed to have my tank upstairs in the "new house" something something wife, something floor wet, so its in the basement now.

lockrookie
10-05-2010, 03:45 AM
every time i look at the name of this thread my mind wanders. i wish i could have sump in basement but basement is fully finished and no way to plumb it. so if i could i would and if you can go for it

mark
10-05-2010, 03:53 AM
every time i look at the name of this thread my mind wanders. i wish i could have sump in basement but basement is fully finished and no way to plumb it. so if i could i would and if you can go for it

had the advantage of an unfinished basement but fairly easy to patch drywall (and get your mind out of the gutter)

lockrookie
10-05-2010, 04:23 AM
yes patching drywall not so bad but ceilings i hate especially with the knock down design on it... its just not an option in this house so bothtanks are stand alones just means twice the equiptment. this is why i say go for basement sumpandmake it huge to sustainany future endeavors.

its not my fault i just see the words and no matter how it worded its just yeah im having a night lol

Binare
10-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Maybe its just me, but a topic titled "head" and posted under "do it yourself" could be taken a few ways.

donlite
10-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I had thought about the head thing but not the do it yourself.:biggrin:

lastlight
10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Maybe its just me, but a topic titled "head" and posted under "do it yourself" could be taken a few ways.

LMAO! Well played for the WIN =) Yeah when I clicked I had no idea what I'd find. All there was was some reef talk which sorta 'blew'.

Aquattro
10-05-2010, 05:48 PM
General audience board guys......

Leah
10-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Glad I had second thoughts on adding my 2 cents here. :wink:

Chin_Lee
10-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I had this configuration with 1" return and two 1.5" drains. For pump I used Reeflo Barracuda and it provided enough flow for my np pellet reactor and main tank circulation. I put one of those accelerators on the output and it was the only water movement needed for my 165g lps/softie tank.
Pros-it kept the tank cool during the summers and the ambient noise of skimmer and other devices are minimized. I was also able to use the cabinet space under the tank for the kids to put their toyes or why. All ur equipment is out of sight, out of mind in the basement
U can go BIG with ur sump size!!! I had a 180 sump and a 165 display upstairs. Lots of room to put extra live rock, equipment, hospital tanks, isolate fish etc

Cons- electrical consumption of the pump was about 300-350watts and that runs 24/7/365 which dramatically increases hydro bills. Also the pumps humming noise radiates through the hoses in flooring and there's nothing u can do to minimize the humming noise from a big return pump.

Recommendatio: if u decide to herbie, put the gate valve closer to the overflow box upstairs probably under the tank. Its easier to control 3-4 feet of head vs 10-12 feet of head in the basement. Its also easier to control being able to visually see/hear the water level in the overflow than trying to run up and down the stairs to the gate valve in the basement.

mark
10-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Recommendatio: if u decide to herbie, put the gate valve closer to the overflow box upstairs probably under the tank. Its easier to control 3-4 feet of head vs 10-12 feet of head in the basement. Its also easier to control being able to visually see/hear the water level in the overflow than trying to run up and down the stairs to the gate valve in the basement.

Chin_Lee is this from experience? Why asking is just waiting for a valve then I'm planning a to convert to a Herbie with the reason being gurgling in the lines (display itself is quiet with the 2 - 2" Dursos) so was planning the valve just above the sump. Is having the gate valve in the basement doable?

Chin_Lee
10-06-2010, 04:15 AM
hi mark
yes it is from experience. gate valve in the basement is doable but adjusting sucks. detritus will always accumulate causing a change in flow in the valve and the higher the head, the more sensitive it is to adjustments.

donlite
10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
If the filters in the basement are totally closed of to the air "closed system" the need for any valve would be gone. The only control you would need is a valve on the return pump. This is a question not a statement .:question:

mark
10-06-2010, 11:58 PM
If the filters in the basement are totally closed of to the air "closed system" the need for any valve would be gone. The only control you would need is a valve on the return pump. This is a question not a statement .:question:

your thinking a sealed vessel in the basement, something like a giant canister filter?