PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning gutter guard before use??

Sunee
10-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi. I have read a number of posts that recommend using gutter guard as a screen for overflows etc. I picked some up at Rona and it reeks! Is soaking it in a vinegar water solution adequate before I use in my aquarium or does it need a more aggressive cleaning?

What do you do before you use it? Thank you.

Delphinus
10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
It smells?? I've just used the stuff right off the roll for both SW and FW tanks. But I've never noticed a smell on it. What does it smell like?

Sunee
10-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I can't really describe it - it is a chemical smell. I checked the packaging and it doesn't say what it is made of, pretty much only that it is gutter guard and it is made in China.

Delphinus
10-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure what to suggest, but I suppose if in doubt, don't use it. You'd think it wouldn't be too toxic because anything it releases or gases off would just run off into the storm sewers and eventually rivers and so on. Maybe let it sit in a well ventilated spot for a few days and see if it still stinks? Maybe it's just that "new vinyl smell" ??

bvlester
10-05-2010, 01:40 AM
I would return it and tell them that you have seen this item at out places and it does not smell and you want to exchange it for a new one that does not smell.
Things get spilled on all the time in shipping crates get broken and so on. I have seen this before when I worked at Canadian Messanger we would be unloading trailers or trian cars and stuff is broken all the time before we got to it.

Bill

Sunee
10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Bill - I already cut some off so I don't think they'll take it back. A good thing it was only a few dollars.

I am going to try airing the roll as Tony suggested and I have a chunk in vinegar water. If neither of those work to get rid of the smell, I will try a different hardware store and see if the gutter guard is any better.

Thanks for your suggestions.