PDA

View Full Version : a fish fin question

rossb
12-02-2003, 01:14 AM
This is not exactly a reef question...but does anybody know if fins grow back? Suppose a gold fish had a bit of an encounter with a turtle, and lost about 75 % of the fins on one side...does anybody know the prognosis?

The fish mostly lies on the bottom of the tank...it swims in a spiral motion and has to be manually fed. It is my oldest gold fish (about 10 years) and it is certainly willing to be hand fed...but I do feel sorry for her...

comments???

I have placed it here rather than the freshwater section hoping someone has some experience with this :confused:

Son Of Skyline
12-02-2003, 01:22 AM
The fins can and will grow back if the fish doesn't die from stress or infection from the damage. I'd say a little tlc should help your fish recover.

EmilyB
12-02-2003, 01:29 AM
I had a ram cichlid for many years that lived after having all it's fins chewed off by Africans. I just kinda "propped" her in a corner, and named her "Stumpy". She would eat from tongs. She became a very beautiful fish again, and never forgot her name when called !
:biggrin:

rossb
12-02-2003, 01:36 AM
I just kinda "propped" her in a corner, and named her "Stumpy". We have named ours chester :lol:

Thanks for the optimistic replies...

chester as in chesterfield....for the humor impaired

Beverly
12-02-2003, 02:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your fish. I love GF :cool:

Keep water quality very high for starters. If the fish is still having a hard time, you might need to use some kind of antibiotic in a hospital tank if the fin is infected.