PDA

View Full Version : dirty glass need help

martym
12-02-2003, 12:10 AM
I bought a used 90g tank, and the inside of the glass is covered in a white film :frown: I tried scraping it off withe a razor blade and that didn't do anything. Anyone have any suggestions.....
Thanks

kuatto
12-02-2003, 12:14 AM
You can try C.L.R. with a scrub pad,but make sure you rinse real good a couple of times with hot water.

pocilipora
12-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Use full strength vinegar.

martym
12-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Full strength vinger didn't work. Going to Rona to get CLR

reef monkey
12-02-2003, 12:48 AM
bleach works really good just be sure to rinse really good and use lots of de-chlorinator

pocilipora
12-02-2003, 01:31 AM
You may have to let the vinegar soak a bit on the glass. Try soaking some rags in vinegar and placing them on the glass. Let sit for 1/2 hour, should come right off.

martym
12-02-2003, 01:35 AM
CLR didn't work either. I'm filling the tank now to see if it is noticable when full. I would imagine that it is just a calcium build up seeing as how it was a reef tank before. It has been down for about a month now. So I'm hoping it is not going to be noticable.

rossb
12-02-2003, 01:40 AM
My favorite hobby is wine making. You can get a glass cleaner that seems to work very well (at any wine kit shop). One would fill the tank with hot water, leave it overnight, and almost everything comes off (everything that can grow in a wine bottle). I have tried it on tanks also and it seems to work. It is also very cheap...

kuatto
12-02-2003, 02:10 AM
:confused: is it on all sides or is the front clean?if just on the ends and back,maybe just clean as much as you can and leave as is?

martym
12-02-2003, 02:34 AM
It seems to be on the front only. I don't know if that was because there was algae on side and back or what. It isn't noticable when the tank is full. I would like to get rid of it though. I'll try the wine bottle cleaner. I alway considered myself as a wine bottle cleaner :smile:
Thanks everyone

Jack
12-02-2003, 03:57 AM
Do you think that the glass is just really scratched and looks frosty? Maybe someone took steel wool to it.

Bob I
12-02-2003, 04:00 AM
I had the same problem with a 10 gallon tank. I cured that by passing it on to Ross. He may have tried the bottle cleaner on it. :eek:

rossb
12-02-2003, 10:16 PM
I did in fact use it. You have to leave it at least over night, and on the tough spots I used a plastic scrubber. It came out not bad...

martym
12-03-2003, 03:29 AM
There are afew small scratches but you really have to look close at the tank to see them Jack. It is just like a haze, but it won't scrap off. I will ask the wife to go to the wine store and ckeck it out.
Rossb, I take it you like the u-brew. Do you do it yourself or have it done at a u-brew? I want to try it, think I will go to a u-brew and see how I like it.

Bob I
12-03-2003, 04:11 AM
There are afew small scratches but you really have to look close at the tank to see them Jack. It is just like a haze, but it won't scrap off. I will ask the wife to go to the wine store and ckeck it out.
Rossb, I take it you like the u-brew. Do you do it yourself or have it done at a u-brew? I want to try it, think I will go to a u-brew and see how I like it.

Speaking for Ross, we do our own. As far as I know the U-brews are a BC peculiarity. I do not think they are legal here.