PDA

View Full Version : Wall divider stand

dpg
10-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Any comments to shore up the stand would be appreciated.

kien
10-02-2010, 02:10 AM
that looks sweet. are you going to be using a sump, and if so, is it going into the basement?

dpg
10-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Think Ill need any extra bracing??

Ya sump will be plumbed to basement.

kien
10-02-2010, 02:40 AM
What are the dimensions of your tank?

hillegom
10-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Are those verticals, 2x8s? With that design you can't put a sump below the aquarium.
Have you thought of using headers?

dpg
10-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Tank is to be 84"Lx24"Wx26"H.

Verticals are 2x6's and sump is in basement.

dpg
10-02-2010, 03:02 AM
What are headers?

kien
10-02-2010, 03:07 AM
I'm neither a carpenter nor a structural engineer so I can't speak to the stand but those are great tank dimensions. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

It does look like the stand is done though? Did your house builder build it for you? Did you tell them a ginormous fish tank is going to sit on it? More importantly, did you re-enforce the floor under the tank? I would assume your builder would have done that for you also.

dpg
10-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Floor is well supported with 3 teleposts and a laminated beam running under the stand.

Ken at BW pointed out to support the verticals perpendicularly, looking forward to any more great suggestions.

mark
10-02-2010, 07:24 AM
realize you'll have about 800lbs on me but take a look at my divider stand in my tank link. It's totally solid so you should be good to place a car on yours in addition to the tank.

Mrfish55
10-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I would replace the OSB panel on the end (and top?) with real plywood, that OSB looses any structural strength pretty quick, especially if it gets wet, other than that looks good.

dpg
10-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Appreciate all the comments thus far!

Myka
10-26-2010, 05:33 AM
I agree to replace the OSB with plywood. Construction grade is fine. What are you doing with the long sides? How will they be finished? They need to be skinned or something because the stand needs to be braced to prevent the top shifting away from the wall. The center "wall" is unnecessary. I would also want to increase strength on the top...the way it is will allow a fair bit of sag between the verticals. Maybe add another 2x6 (or 2x4) to the top plate alternating the lap on the corners?

dpg
10-26-2010, 04:18 PM
The top and front panels are plywood. Also they have since added a plywood panel spanning the length of the stand attached to the center verticals.
The sides are drywalled, any issues with that? Thanks!

lastlight
10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
My two suggestions were front/back cladding and to orient the top pieces on end. Sounds like it may be too late to change the top pieces but laying them on their faces doesn't do much. You do have a ton of verticals in there so maybe it won't matter but that's my suggestion.

Chin_Lee
10-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Ur stand looks very sturdy...... and to be honest, a little overkill. There's a lot to gain in terms of storage under the tank if you to build it with less vertical supports. I personally would have gone with 6*2x6 for vertical supports - two on each end and two right in the middle. I would then double up 2x8s to span the length on both sides. The space I would gain under the tank I would make into cabinet space for storage. That just my 2cents.

Lance
10-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I agree with Chin Lee. You could park a Mac truck on that stand. There are way more studs than is necessary. I'd take some out to create more storage space.

DiverDude
10-26-2010, 10:39 PM
+1 on that. I'd have done 2x6's doubled-up for headers with 1 support in the middle. I'd put cabinet doors on both sides of the peninsula for storage.

Nothing wrong with the way you're going; I think you'll miss the storage for fish-related stuff.

dpg
10-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Got some great feedback thanks all. The picture doesn't show but There is a fairly large closet access area on the one side of that stand. Plus itll be plumbed to basement.kinda worried about the drywall tho.

Myka
10-27-2010, 03:51 AM
The gypsum board (drywall) will be fine. It helps holds houses up, so it should hold your tank up. ;) Although don't be fooled, the end that I can see in the photo is OSB (chip board), not plywood. Plywood stands up to wetness much better. How do they plan to tie in the OSB end with the gypsum board? Trying to mud over it won't work...the OSB will expand and contract like any other wood, and the gypsum won't. The corners, and any joints will crack.

dpg
10-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Appreciate that - will tell my builder to change to plywood. And it is tied with gypsum. Thanks again!

lockrookie
10-27-2010, 05:30 AM
The gypsum board (drywall) will be fine. It helps holds houses up, so it should hold your tank up. ;)

gysum/drywall does not have any real structural qualities its the 2x4/2x6 that hold your homes up. drywall will be the first thing to crack and tear apart with shifting you would get more stength from a 1/4 sheet of plywood than that of drywall. drywall is just an easier way to make nice looking cosmetic walls than the old plaster and lathe. not to mention nicer than wood panelling:)

but i do agree get rid of the osb bad bad bad. and overkill is always better than not enough. other than that it looks good. everyone has given you great advice.