PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to win?

Frenchie2
10-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I have a piece of LR that is placed so it makes the foundation of my rock work. When I got it, there was a piece of left over disc plug glued on it but nothing else. After a while, I saw some little zoos starting to grow around the disc. Did not think too much of it... Well now, holy doodle, they are taking over the rock and spreading like mad. I was told to put some mushrooms around them so they would not grow faster. I also have acans next to them which can be moved. These acans are pretty agressive (holy cow!) and I've seen them doing some real damage to a couple of my other corals. My question is: Who is going to win between the acans and the zoos if I leave the acans there? See pic. Your opinion is appreciated. Thanks!
Oh, also, can zoos be killed??? If so, how so without soiling the water in the tank without taking the rock out?

Murminator
10-01-2010, 09:18 PM
zoos wil take over

muck
10-01-2010, 09:57 PM
IME the fuglier the zoa the more aggressive and harder to kill it is.

Murminator
10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Now that I look how close the shrooms are the shrooms will expand and move in for the kill faster

christyf5
10-01-2010, 10:20 PM
In my experience, the orange acans win against everything. They're one of the most, if not THE most aggressive corals I have ever seen. Mine is moved off to one side of the tank after melting ricordea, zoanthids, half a prized green acan various SPS frags that don't stick due to crap epoxy and a gorgonian. Even with a 6" radius around it it still reaches out to "lovingly" touch something now and then. I hate it and am thinking about taking it to the LFS.

IMO if you want to kill those zoos, flip the acan tissue side down on it for about 6 hours. They'll melt like butter.