PDA

View Full Version : Current USA Nova Extreme 24" 2x24W T-5

j3tang
10-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Hello all, first post here.

I'm a newb in this new hobby but I've lurked around this and other forums quite some time reading before posting. I've started to build myself a list of equipment and where to get them.

I am considering a FOWLR setup and in terms of lighting, I was planning on getting the Current USA Nova Extreme 24" 2x24W T-5. It's listed on BigAl's online store, but the Saltwater version is out of stock. They do have the freshwater version in stock though.

I was wondering what is the difference between the two setups? I'm assuming the freshwater setup comes with two 10K bulbs? and the saltwater is supposed to come with one 10K bulb and one actinic blue? Is there anything different about the fixture itself?

If the only difference between the two setups are the bulbs, does that mean I can just purchase two actinic bulbs for the freshwater fixture and I'll have myself two sets of bulbs (1 of each)?

cale262
10-01-2010, 05:34 PM
The only difference is the bulbs but IME you're going to need to replace the Current bulbs soon anyway, I have four of these Current NOVA Extreme fixture and none of the Current bulbs last very long, I've replaced all of mine with AquaticLife bulbs...

Rbacchiega
10-01-2010, 06:50 PM
if you're just going with a FOWLR for now that will be fine...if you plan on going reef then eventually you'll have to change. I've used the Current Sundial's before and they're good bang for your buck. Bulb choice would come more into play if/when you decide to go with corals (which we all know happens sooner or later)

j3tang
10-01-2010, 08:39 PM
thanks I appreciate the comments, and yeah, I may eventually get into corals. Where would I find Sundials locally (Toronto)?

I saw a very old post from nano-reef saying that a 24" 4x24W could be had for a bit over $240 after shipping and customs, but it made no mention of where from. I wouldn't mind looking into that so that I don't have to upgrade down the road.

But as for the question I had in the original post, does anyone know if everything about the fixture is identical between the saltwater and the freshwater, aside from the bulbs included? I mean if that's the case, and like cale262 said the stock bulbs probably won't last too long anyways, I may well just buy the freshwater fixture and then purchase actinic bulbs too.

edit::the sundials are actually on the bigals website, but they're $380! yikes!! Anywhere else have them cheaper, aside from buying used?

Rbacchiega
10-01-2010, 09:04 PM
If you're eventually going to get into corals, check out fishneedit.com. Fixtures are nice, work well and incredibly cheap. I picked up two fixtures (a 4 foot 4 bulb unit and a 4 foot 2 bulb unit) for the 75 gallon for about 215 USD before shipping...bulbs included.