PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water

skabooya
10-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I know there are lots of threads on this but i cant find a similar situation to solve my issue.

My 28 long has been running for a few months now. Water has been clear until I added Prazi Pro to help out my CB angel. I thought it was a normal part of the treatment. After 7 days of treatment I turned my skimmer back on and did a WC. Water was still cloudy a little cloudy for a day or two but then it went right back to being very cloudy. (white cloudy). I thought maybe the prazi pro killed off some of the bacteria and my tank is going through another cycle so i tested. All params turned out fine.
SG 1.025
PH 8.1
ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 0.0 (I have to dose 1/4 tsp weekly for my macro algae to grow)
Alk 4.5
Ca 360 (slowly raising it and have been doing this for some time now with no problems)
All fish look good (2 clowns and a CB) inverts look good although my pep shrimp just molted so hes hiding.
Corals look good.
Every weekend i dose:
8 drops of iron and manganese for my red macro
1 1/2 capfuls of reef trace and amino acids
1/4 tsp KNO3 again for the macro algae because my feedings and fish load are not nearly enough for the macro algae.
Every 2 weeks I add Baking Soda to keep my Alk up
Every other day to every day i add 1/2 tsp of Calcium to slowly bring it up. Sometimes i forget and it goes a few days without dosing.

I dont use Carbon because it removes trace, I dont have a sump because i have no room. Im not using an ugly sock in my tank unless its temporary. UV is too expensive. I have a Tunze 9002 protein skimmer which BTW has been going crazy since i turned it back on from the prazi pro treatment.

So what do i do to make my tank clear again??? Should i just wait it out and see what happens?
Ive also started feeding garlic extreme and selcon on weekends too with my coral feedings. Could the garlic additives be causing this cloudyness ??

BlueTang<3
10-01-2010, 02:29 AM
I would have to say that is probably the problem is another bacteria bloom the back of the pazi pro says do not use in a system with inverts or live rock. Let is do its thing for the next few days monitor the ammonia and the nitrates and nitrites and as long as they don't spike you should be ok. I would personally run carbon it is very important in a reef tank in my opinion. It will remove any of the impurities. Buy a cheap hang on the back filter and some nylons make your own carbon baggies and your water should be crystal clear in no time. Use good grade carbon cheap stuff can leach phosphates and silica into your tank.

christyf5
10-01-2010, 03:38 AM
I've used prazi pro twice in my tank with both live rock and inverts with no problem. I do believe that it says to run carbon at the end of the treatment and I wouldnt' worry about it removing trace elements at this point, either you have trace elements or cloudy water, take your pick.

FWIW, I've never had the cloudy water part either. But your parameters seem to be in check. I'd run carbon for a few days and do a water change. If its not gone by then you might need to look into other options.