PDA

View Full Version : Tank possible with 2 bottom panes side by side?

lastlight
09-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Hypothetical question.

Let's say you want a tank with a fairly large footprint and your basement access won't allow the bottom sheet to fit down the stairs. Could you say lay 2 pieces of glass side-by-side and then have an inner eurobrace overtop of them both making them one?

I don't see why not but I'm curious.

If anyone has a link to a build thread where this was done please post it.

lockrookie
09-30-2010, 01:44 AM
i too have thought of this and dont see why not. but with limits too large a tank it would have too much of a pressure point and could crack but if sealed really well i doubt ittobe a great problem. do you have basement window you can open to slide the glass in?

saltynuts
09-30-2010, 01:51 AM
in the large tank zone on rc they have a thread with a build like that.

lastlight
09-30-2010, 01:52 AM
I won't answer that because it makes this appear to be more than an innocent question :biggrin: (yes but it's more restrictive than my door to the basement currently).

So long as the panes are fully supported and they would be with the foam I don't think there are any forces that would make this un-doable. All the glass is pressed down evenly into the foam. Sides would have the same forces they ever would have. Nice wide brace to seal them and presto.

Skimmerking
09-30-2010, 01:58 AM
yes you can Brett so i guess you are getting a bigger tank what size how thick is the glass, what is the lenght 120" 144"

lastlight
09-30-2010, 02:32 AM
No no I'm not.

I'm just laying down plans for when my corals overgrow my current tank. I'm thinking (and hoping) that's a few years out. But we discussed our plans today and we're going to stay in our little place and not try and upgrade further down the road. It's grown on us (and mortgage is very cheap).

In our discussed plan however my kids will get half the basement and me the other half. Naturally I DO have dream dimensions in my head but let's not get carried away lol. I just want to hear from people about this idea.

lockrookie
09-30-2010, 03:12 AM
get a glass maker to make the glass in your house then youwont have to worry lol

kien
09-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Ya I have seen a couple of builds on RC that did this and thought about doing it myself. So yes it is doable :)

fishytime
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM
yup very do-able.....I know someone with a massive "U" shaped tank in the works........the concept of it though makes me nervous:wink:

phi delt reefer
09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
have you thought of doing a giant cube instead? make the tank as wide and as high as the largest piece of glass you can get down the stairs. that way you would have more room for all you equipment.

LOL i just imagined a 48x48x48 cube! That would be pretty sweet and you could go get some scuba gear and consider it a "maintenance" expense :)

banditpowdercoat
09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
I would think you would want a stand support under the bottom pane seam. Then the support would hold the weight, no issues :D

dave_C
09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
yup very do-able.....I know someone with a massive "U" shaped tank in the works........the concept of it though makes me nervous:wink:

If you are talking about me:wink: lol I am still debating on the final length, i would love to do 22 feet but it wouldn't leave me with much room to work around the tank. As to the question stated by lastlight definitely doable as i plan on using 5 pieces for my bottom plate with bracing.

fencer
09-30-2010, 04:39 PM
AquaGiant in Edmonton has two 4' x 4' tanks with split bottoms. Once in place I don't think they will ever be able to move them

reefcanada
10-01-2010, 05:26 AM
With the right braces, it works well. Or you just do a double bottom with the top pieces split in three. This way your seams don't over lap and you can temper the top panels. That would make it very strong.

lastlight
10-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Well Jay you already know you're hypothetically/dream-hired. Now I just gotta pay some debt off and sell my kids =)

reefcanada
10-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Thats great, When you are ready to go over your build just let me know. The design is half the fun.

kien
01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Oh see now this is different! You were asking if it is doable. I already know that it is :p

What I want to know is the actual long term survivability of such a tank and personal experiences with such a tank. Totally different topic! Sort of.

lastlight
01-04-2011, 10:53 PM
I stand absolutely corrected. As you were sir. Remember as a rule of thumb these sorts of tanks are safest when under 400g =)

kien
01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
I stand absolutely corrected. As you were sir. Remember as a rule of thumb these sorts of tanks are safest when under 400g =)

Do you have anything to back up that claim? So hypothetically speaking one shouldn't attempt a, oh say, 504g this way?