PDA

View Full Version : bio-pellets and hair algae?

josie
09-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I have a bio-pellets for about 3 months now (in a modified next reef reactor), my cyano disappeared, corals are growing :thumb:

BUT: I have a hair algae bloom for the past 2 weeks!
I had turbo snails to help...
my test shows no nitrates, phosphates... but maybe the algae is "eating" it...

could the reactor be part of the problem?

lastlight
09-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Hair algae is the only type of algae I had when running the pellets. I've just discontinued their use and will see how it goes.

globaldesigns
09-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Question for you...

do you have the pellets moving quite aggressively? If so, my suggestion would be to slow them down. The key to the pellets is to have the top portion moving aggressively and the bottom part turn over very slowly. This allows the ability for the bacteria to grow and populate.

The big mistake, mainly because of no initial documentation, is that too many have the pellets moving so aggresively, they wonder why the pellets don't work. Well it is like you trying to stand in a hurricane, the bacteria don't have a chance.

There is alot of documentation to support my claims now, from many respected reefers... Also in the last package of NP BioPellets I opened, there were actually directions (this is a first) and these directions state the same.

If this info helps you great, try it out and let us know.

josie
09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
we modified the reactor with next reef directions... the pellets move good on top, slowly rising from the bottom..

you can seem them in my "water room" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3MPUSCRfb8