PDA

View Full Version : reef tank over top of fire place

steve fedyk
09-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Is it possible to biuld a reef tank over top of a gas fire place insert. Has anyone done this before or heard of someone doing this.
A link with picture would be good.
Dose anyone know the codes for a gas fire place insert. Like the distance, and clearances needed.

lastlight
09-27-2010, 10:27 PM
What if it leaked? Saltwater, corrosion and gas pipe lines in the same area...I dunno. Never seen it done and seen many builds! Also unless you have a fan installed in the unit it will COOK the tank. I think even with the fan quite a bit of heat goes UP.

Bloodasp
09-27-2010, 10:35 PM
I saw one somewhere where he replaced a wood fireplace with a tank Used the chimney to install a solar tube. not sure about putting it on top of a working fireplace though those things get quite hot.

DiverDude
09-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Anything is possible -but is it smart ?

Aside from the potential issues from a failure of some sort, how would you get at it to clean and tend to it ? Working on a step ladder would be a bitch.

Where would the sump go ?

etc.

etc.

If it's *that* desirable to you then I'm sure you could pull it of. Personally, I'd suggest that you can find other places that are almost as nice but far more practical.

steve fedyk
09-28-2010, 02:30 AM
My wife and I were thowing the idea around.
The new tank plan for the sump is to be in the basment.
The problem would be the heat from the fireplace. If we used industial matrial to insolate the back of the fireplace that would stop the heat from ther aquarium. We don't use the fire place to often, its more for show then for heat. The front heat form the fireplace would be the problem.
The aquarium would be no more then 24"-27" deep so it would be lower then the one I have now.

lockrookie
09-28-2010, 02:37 AM
invest in a chiller just to be safe

steve fedyk
09-28-2010, 02:48 AM
I found this one here are seavisions. Iif it can be done they have done it.

link: http://www.seavisions.com/images/carolina1.jpg

mark
09-28-2010, 03:58 AM
got a TV above the gas fireplace, shelf it sits on gets a little warm with the the fire on wouldn't say hot

e46er
09-28-2010, 05:35 AM
I'm a gas fitter...... Fireplaces don't come with tempered glass that's a sperate pane if glass generally very expensive which is what you see when fireplaces are in ensuites close to water
regular glass that's hot water splashes on it crack shatter all bad.
It would look cool but not practical at all I'm sure you could find a much better spot to put a tank

wingedfish
09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Is this a zero clearance fireplace built into the wall with access to the back and will the aquarium be flush to the wall? if so then a beefed up stand over the fireplace should be all that's needed. not a good idea to have the tank out from the wall with the bottom exposed to convective heat from the fireplace. there is a clearance to combustible specs in the installation manual of the fireplace, start there.

steve fedyk
09-29-2010, 02:56 AM
the tank would be backing onto wall.

lockrookie
09-29-2010, 03:06 AM
my worst fear would be a leak. tank or plumbing but it definatelywould look good

untamed
09-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I found this one here are seavisions. Iif it can be done they have done it.

link: http://www.seavisions.com/images/carolina1.jpg

I've seen a lot...but that one made my jaw drop. Stunning!

Canadoc
09-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Hrmmm. It's a cool idea and given the materials today, and unlimited funds it could probably be done. Having said this the question really is, just because you could do it, does it mean you should? The potential for absolute catastrophic disaster is there, especially with a gas fireplace, not only to the tank and it's inhabitants, but to the larger tank that you and your wife inhabit :) . Yikes. Cool idea though!

steve fedyk
10-02-2010, 04:56 AM
My thought was if the fireplace chages on fire the stand will break and put the fire out.
The biggest problem I can think of this is the heat from the outside face of the fire place heating up the tank quickly. A chiller I don't think could respand quick enough to cool the tank.