PDA

View Full Version : New sandbed but old rock/ cycle?

Doug
09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
I,m setting up my regular 50g to play around with a plenum system again. Ran one with some success about 15 yrs. or so ago.

I have over the plenum a couple inches of 5mm crushed coral. Its from another tank, so likely phosphate loaded but thats fine. I rinsed it well before using. The top few inches is 2mm aragonite. New and again, rinsed.

Its currently running about 1/2 full with used tank water. I know the sand will take months to become active but wonder if I move my reef over in a week or so, if the sand cycle would be noticeable.

I have lots of well aged live rock to compensate for it. Would it not be like adding new sand to an established tank? Or moving ones system and adding new sand?

Thanks. Looking for thoughts.

MitchM
09-29-2010, 01:00 AM
I doubt you'll see much of any cycle, depending on how much live rock you expose that might have any "dead" areas on it.

Mitch

Doug
09-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks Mitch. My rock is pretty much all open. We were discussing it elsewhere and some of them figured, as I do, that with no die of in the sand or as you mentioned in the rock, should be nothing to cycle.

My rock should do as its currently doing. Supporting the stock I move to the tank. Or at least thats my view. I may have to buy an ammonia test kit. Dont think I have owned one for 15 yrs. or so. But if its indicating ammonia, is it not to late when my stock is moved? :lol:

MitchM
09-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Plenum, eh?

I like it how sometimes the old becomes new again.
I think I last bought an ammonia kit in 1979.:lol:
After a while I find that patience and observation makes a great test kit.:smile:

Mitch

Skimmerking
09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Doug if you need some Salt water used come on over and get 15 gal of mine ...to help you out.. and some live sand too... from my refugium to seed it ok.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't think sand needs very long to become repopulated with bacteria. After all, its very easy & open for the bacteria to move around and bacteria reproduce exponentially. Rock would take much longer, but a sand bed or crushed coral over a plenum should be faster.

Anthony

Doug
09-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Plenum, eh?

I like it how sometimes the old becomes new again.
I think I last bought an ammonia kit in 1979.:lol:
After a while I find that patience and observation makes a great test kit.:smile:

Mitch

I think thats around when I owned one last also. I have wanted to set up a tank like this for years. Although my former attempt was ok, I have done several things different this time. I know of some long term systems still running, although much larger tanks than my 50g. Unfortunetely thats all I can get in my little office/fishroom, so 6in. of sand & plenum space and 12in. of tank. Guess my 4 bulb t-5 should light it up good. :lol:

I,m going to start a journal thread on it, so more detail there and how it progresses I guess.

Doug if you need some Salt water used come on over and get 15 gal of mine ...to help you out.. and some live sand too... from my refugium to seed it ok.

I may take you up on that offer bud.

I don't think sand needs very long to become repopulated with bacteria. After all, its very easy & open for the bacteria to move around and bacteria reproduce exponentially. Rock would take much longer, but a sand bed or crushed coral over a plenum should be faster.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony. I,m hoping it goes that way. I do have a worry about using older crushed coral but the price was right and I wanted at least a 5mm sized material for the first couple inches. Hoping that the good rinse and lots of Phosban will do the job.

Plus I going to be running the large SWC hang on skimmer thats rated for a much larger system.