PDA

View Full Version : brown circle/patch on my live rock

mrcopitr
05-25-2002, 01:25 PM
Hi guys,

I seem to be getting some kind of brownish circle/patch that expand on my live rock....is this another algae cycle in a new reef (my tank is 4 months old, ph 8.3 to 8.4, nitrates 0, ammonia 0, phosphate 0, I doze kalkwasser daily). And I also do 20 to 25 water change bi-weekly.

Have you guys experienced this type of problem, if yes what can I do to correct it....

Hoping to hear from you soon,

thanks...Marco

Samw
05-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Does it look like this?

http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/algae_page/brw_lobo.jpg

I had a patch of it for months. Then after I bought my emerald crabs, it was gone within a week.

Jack
05-25-2002, 07:36 PM
I bought the samerock you did, at the same time, from J&L. I do have these brown spots too in sections on my rock, I think it is a wierd colour of coralline algae but I'm not sure on that. I don't see it being anything bad. I don't percieve this as a plauge or problem to me, and it's doesnt seem to spread I don't think.

mrcopitr
05-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Hi Jack,

I did have one or two of this spot since getting the rock...but it seems that I'm getting more now...it seems to cover the coraline algae. I'll be watching it closely to see if it expand...

I mentionned brown color...but it is more rusty like in color...

Thanks for the input guys....

mrcopitr
05-25-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Sam W:
Does it look like this?

http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/algae_page/brw_lobo.jpg

I had a patch of it for months. Then after I bought my emerald crabs, it was gone within a week.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I also got 3 emerald crab to take care of a few valonia algae...but the little bugger dont seem to be interested in it!!! and they dont take care of the brown patches either....I'm really starting to dislike their lazyness!!!!

thanks for your help..Marco

Jack
05-25-2002, 10:25 PM
Sam,
That looks like what I have, although patches of it are assorted small sizes(0.5-2cm) and they aren't in elevated scales... but I would say the small spots on my rock look like that.

Marco,
Mine is rusty coloured too.

What is that stuff?

[ 25 May 2002, 18:30: Message edited by: Jack ]

mrcopitr
05-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Jack:
Sam,
That looks like what I have, although patches of it are assorted small sizes(0.5-2cm) and they aren't in elevated scales... but I would say the small spots on my rock look like that.

Marco,
Mine is rusty coloured too.

What is that stuff?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Jack,

Mine are not elevated either, and after another inspection tonite, it is definitely expanding!!!
I'm also wondering what it is...

My emerald crab dont show any interest in it....I just hope that it wont be covering my live rock out of control....

Please keep me posted on your situation or if youlearn more about this..

as you mentionned we did get the same rock...it would be intereting to know if other reefers are experiencing the same problem...

Thank you for input...Marco