PDA

View Full Version : Back to the drawing board - Calgary meetings

trinac
09-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Alright, we are back to the drawing board on the Calgary meeting. I am determined to get this going and be a success.

What I know for sure:
#1 There is interest!!!
#2 We like prizes etc as extra incentives to attend
#3 Vendor(s) want your business and want to be a part of this
#4 Weekdays are too mental, weekend time is easier for everyone.
#5 Need a host space

At this point, let me know if you think you'll be able to host a meeting - maybe we can get vendor incentives for hosts??. Or if you know of a place that will work - church, community hall?

If we do an actual hall or something like that, we'll obviously have to do a bit of fundraising. Those places are really cheap anyways, so I am not worried about that part.

Some things to throw around - frequency of meetings, discussions, guest speakers, contests, etc.

Help me out with your ideas and suggestions, and lets get this going!

Delphinus
09-26-2010, 04:33 AM
People hosting at their place, you'd think would work since it's always nice to look at a .. you know .. tank or something.

When my build is done I will host a "My Gawd there is finally water in the f*cking thing" themed frag swap/club meet at my place. Don't hold your breath though waiting for the day. Someone else is gonna have to step up for something sooner. I vote for Brett's house. He doesn't even need to be there. Or John's house. In John's case it might be better if he's NOT there. I think I heard he liked growing things out from 1" frags though, so as long as we leave 1" of frags in his tank, it should be an epic win all around. :p

Years ago we had enough people in the "Calgary Canreef club" to host monthly get togethers. I don't know why it's so hard this time around to get that same momentum going. Keep trying I guess, it should eventually stick, I think.

lobsterboy
09-26-2010, 04:54 AM
not sure if your talking about me Tony, but maybe I could have something here, my place is small. but we did have a get together before here.
I ll probably be working so as long as you guys clean up and dont touch the stylos, your good to go. :mrgreen:

Delphinus
09-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Hmmmm. My tractor beam based coral retriever isn't working yet. Dang it! :p

Lance
09-26-2010, 05:15 AM
Cover story of the April, 2012 edition of Reef Keeping Magazine:

"My Gawd there is finally water in the f*cking thing"

lastlight
09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I think it needs to start smaller before it can grow into all that. I talked about it with Tony and I think the best way to at least get the idea of meeting up in people's heads and get friendly is to find 1 or 2 people thru pm's. Get them to commit to hanging out somewhere (a house or restaurant) and THEN post time and place you've already decided. People can then either come or not but it's already a 'go' with a few people so it happens for sure.

globaldesigns
09-27-2010, 06:11 PM
People hosting at their place, you'd think would work since it's always nice to look at a .. you know .. tank or something.

When my build is done I will host a "My Gawd there is finally water in the f*cking thing" themed frag swap/club meet at my place. Don't hold your breath though waiting for the day. Someone else is gonna have to step up for something sooner. I vote for Brett's house. He doesn't even need to be there. Or John's house. In John's case it might be better if he's NOT there. I think I heard he liked growing things out from 1" frags though, so as long as we leave 1" of frags in his tank, it should be an epic win all around. :p

Years ago we had enough people in the "Calgary Canreef club" to host monthly get togethers. I don't know why it's so hard this time around to get that same momentum going. Keep trying I guess, it should eventually stick, I think.

I would love to come to an event you host Tony, but I may be six feet under by then!!!

tinman
09-27-2010, 06:17 PM
i'm in when and where if edmonton can do it so can calgary!

meenamjah
09-27-2010, 10:19 PM
go go go!!!

ColinD
09-28-2010, 01:53 PM
My thoughts on this,

it would be great to get folks together, however we all deal with this thing called 'Life' and it seems to get in the way a lot.
Maybe try to get a few people that you know will definitely show up, pick a location and start with that, post on here and start a discussion, chances are a couple more than you originally thought will show up just to see whats going on. Couple weeks later do it all again, maybe more will show (or not) but keep it simple, don't set expectations too high, these things have to grow themselves.

Kevin at Red Coral had mentioned that they put a tank in a pub somewhere up in the NW, maybe that would be a great place for the first couple get togethers (or we could all hang out in the basement at Teatro, sure John wouldn't mind that at all, right?)

Colin

DiverDude
09-28-2010, 11:21 PM
What happened at the meeting that was scheduled for the Boston Pizza a few Thursdays ago ?? Did anyone attend ?

tinman
09-29-2010, 01:41 AM
What happened at the meeting that was scheduled for the Boston Pizza a few Thursdays ago ?? Did anyone attend ?

so who's got nothin to do this thursday night i'm in the south

lobsterboy
09-29-2010, 03:11 AM
I think Iam off thursday night?

amoreira
09-29-2010, 04:16 AM
I would like to meet some fellow reefers Thursday night. I'm game.

Coleus
09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Kevin at Red Coral had mentioned that they put a tank in a pub somewhere up in the NW, maybe that would be a great place for the first couple get togethers (or we could all hang out in the basement at Teatro, sure John wouldn't mind that at all, right?)

Colin

I think the tank is at the World Health Club. Very nice tank and good meeting place.

DiverDude
09-29-2010, 06:24 PM
I think the tank is at the World Health Club. Very nice tank and good meeting place.

If that's right then I agree with Coleus; it'd be a nice spot to meet.

It's on the way home from work for me so i could stop by for a while....

tinman
09-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Anyone interested for Thursday let me know I'm in the south

Red Coral Aquariums
09-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Edgemont Grill (in the World Health Building)
The address is 7222 Edgemont Blvd. NW

I will be there at 8:30 pm for my weekly maintenance on Thursday and can show anyone an automated system.
Kevin

lastlight
09-30-2010, 01:30 AM
8:30 pm Kevin?

Red Coral Aquariums
09-30-2010, 01:51 AM
8:30 pm Kevin?

Yes thanks

lobsterboy
09-30-2010, 07:17 AM
so whos all going ? :razz:

Delphinus
09-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Kids swimming lessons for me so I'm out. YAY me. :( Maybe next time!! Hopefully not on a Thursday, that seems to be a schedule conflict prone day for me. Not sure what's up with that. Mama don't let your kids grow up to be parents. Have fun guys, take pictures please! :)

lobsterboy
09-30-2010, 07:30 AM
i hope to get to red coral tomorrow, and will get directions from Kev.

tinman
09-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Right on Kevin see u there if anyone needs a lift I'm in cranston

DiverDude
10-01-2010, 01:14 AM
So is anyone going or if I go I'll be drinking with Kevin and the fish ?

Speak up fast because I've got other things to do if no one is going to be there !!

lobsterboy
10-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Great get together tonight, met some new faces.

Thanks to Kevin for showing the World Health Tank, very nice carpet.

tinman
10-01-2010, 05:49 AM
well guys number 1 is in the bag i thought the turnout was great 5 in total thanks to all that attended. kevin,diverdude,lobsterboy,brychutte, the minutes of the meeting consisted of nachos and kevin's special wings, lots of different views and opinions were shared and even alittle water on the floor!! sorry kev! heh,heh,heh!!! had to get that in there! so a good time was had by all i think, and i'm looking forward to the next one!

bryceschutte
10-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Agreed! it was a good time had by all! WE even got to discussing how a unsecured ATO hose could case water to spill on the floor, cough, cough, kevin. Ha HA. Well I came home and one of the first things I looked at was my hose. Guess what. It was spilling water onto my floor because I had it just shoved in the sump. It safe and secure now. We learn from each others mistakes. I for one will be going out of my way to attend as many get togethers as possible. I learned a lot tonight.

Those wings where really good!

Red Coral Aquariums
10-01-2010, 06:33 AM
I thought by buying wings that no one would say anything.:confused: A great group to start.

Had some great ideas brought forward for following meetings.

1) a demonstration on using the different test kit brands

2) a demonstration on using different epoxy's and glues and fragging tips.

Edgemont Grill seems like a good starter place for our initial meetings. We can expand as we grow.

Kevin

DiverDude
10-01-2010, 06:19 PM
+1 on all that. It's a great spot for meetings because there's:

1) Food
2) BEEEEER
3) Oh....and a 210 Gal tank !

Management there has indicated that they would be happy to have us and we have an 'in' at the kitchen for top secret custom wing sauce so what more could you ask for ?

tinman
10-02-2010, 01:19 AM
I thought by buying wings that no one would say anything.:confused: A great group to start.

Had some great ideas brought forward for following meetings.

1) a demonstration on using the different test kit brands

2) a demonstration on using different epoxy's and glues and fragging tips.

Edgemont Grill seems like a good starter place for our initial meetings. We can expand as we grow.

Kevin

yup great kev i would like to bring in some of my kits and compare and hey you can't go wrong with fragging tips and maybe you could show me how not to glue my fingers together!

ColinD
10-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Good to see this coming together, I think sometimes we over-think these types of things and simpler is sometimes better. Now I guess its too bad that I start back to work full time next week and Tues thru Sat evenings are out :sad:

Colin

trinac
10-03-2010, 07:27 AM
I didn't realize a meeting actually happened... oh well. Hope it was fun!!!! Maybe there will be a better way to invite everyone next time. More people will probably come too.

tinman
10-05-2010, 02:38 AM
is anyone interested in bugging kevin this thursday night at world health

bryceschutte
10-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Im in.

lobsterboy
10-05-2010, 04:14 AM
my dads in town, i think other plans got made.

DisneyCoralReef
10-17-2010, 12:15 AM
You guys have meet ups? New to reefing and a new tank owner, but would love to come out if anything is put together.

tinman
10-17-2010, 02:10 AM
just talked with kev yesterday hopefully we are going to have another session in the next couple of weeks stay tuned