PDA

View Full Version : KILLING LIVE ROCK

ElGuappo
09-26-2010, 12:40 AM
i have some dried live rock that still shows evidence of valonia and other algaes... i want to kill this completely so there is no chance of the algae coming back.... bleech? vinagar?

i know how to cycle and do the water changes to remove said chemicals but i dont know what works best...

ANY IDEAS???????

Wingin It
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Boil it and/or roast it is what i've done b4 with fw rocks and i've read of others doing it with their LR too

PoonTang
09-26-2010, 12:52 AM
I pressure washed mine then baked it in the sun for a month then soaked it in RODI for a month changing the water weekly.

ElGuappo
09-26-2010, 02:09 AM
by roasting do you mean throw it in the oven ???

if i had a pressure washer i would have dont that already... i was thinking of taking it to a car wash to spray it but i worry about the detergent.

Wingin It
09-26-2010, 02:43 AM
ya, roasting it in the oven at like 450F

Starry
09-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Put it in a trash bag and trow it in the deep freeze for a few days. You can then recure it as soon as you like.

reefwars
09-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Put it in a trash bag and trow it in the deep freeze for a few days. You can then recure it as soon as you like.

interesting idea:) rockcicles!!!

gobytron
09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
If you're not in a hurry...
just put it in a tub with som SW, an airstone and a heater and NO light for a month or three.

you can cycle the rock thisway while you kill the algae.

mseepman
09-27-2010, 03:24 PM
If you're not in a hurry...
just put it in a tub with som SW, an airstone and a heater and NO light for a month or three.

you can cycle the rock thisway while you kill the algae.

Does this guarantee the algae is gone? I know that Myka "cooked" her rocks this way for a long time because of a brutal Valonia problem and once she got her tank going again, back it came.

My nano has valonia and when I move, I plan to find some way to get rid of that stuff forever.