PDA

View Full Version : Help Coral dying

lionfaceman
09-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Hello everyone i need some help with identifing and help saving my coral. I have had this coral for about 3 months and starting on thursday i noticed it was dying. Im not sure what is going on. All my water levels check out and salinity. please help thanks.

christyf5
09-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Looks like a pagoda cup coral to me, I would imagine its currently getting the crap stung out of it by all those small aiptasia anemones. If you can break off the affected part and move the healthy part to an aiptasia free area it might be ok. There is a chance that it is something else (ie. bacterial infection) that is causing the problem and you might lose the whole thing.

lionfaceman
09-26-2010, 12:48 AM
:'( ppl have being lying to me about those aiptasia anemones. and those ppl are on canreef. ok now what to do rip down the tank to get rid of them or what. i have 2 fish but they can live in my frag tanks.

christyf5
09-26-2010, 12:53 AM
You could go after them with an aiptasia remover but that all has to be done by hand, injecting each one, and it looks like you have quite a few, but if you're patient it does work.

Depending on your tank size you could get either berghia nudibranches to eat them or a fish such as a butterflyfish or filefish. Or you could tear the tank down and do something drastic with the rock to kill them (ie. boil the rock, soak it in something that would kill them).

Sorry you've had bad advice, that sucks :(

ElGuappo
09-26-2010, 01:02 AM
if it was me i would start over.... you said yuo have frag tanks where things can go to live for a little while... i had major aptasia issues in my rsm 130 and the only way i REALLY got rid of it was to kill the rock and start over....

tlo
09-26-2010, 02:17 AM
I had a major aptaisa infestion in my tank- my tank looked like yours. I found the only thing that worked was berghia nudibranchs. I found in order for them to be effective you need at least 2/10gallons. It gets expensive at that ratio, but it worked wonders. It took a few months for them to do the job, but now, I only ever see the odd one in my tank. Once the berghia go into the tank you will most likely never see it again, but they are doing their jobs, sometimes at night you see them come out on the rockwork.

lionfaceman
09-26-2010, 02:45 AM
Ya I do have a frag tank for things to go live. I'm thinking about taking the rock out and boiling and curing it and selling it and just go by new rock. No wonder I got the rock so cheap. Ya what you think guys. Got get cheap new rock. Or get the chemical to kill them all.

whatcaneyedo
09-26-2010, 03:02 AM
It kind of looks like the far end of the coral has 'brown jelly infection' to me. If that is the case the whole thing will be gone in a pile of slime within a few days if you dont remove the infected area. Either syphon it out or cut off the covered part.

bvlester
09-26-2010, 03:06 AM
I would keep the rock you have and use berghia nudibranchs in combination with a couple peppermint shrimp take the fish out and do not fee the shrimp for a couple days if they do not start to eat the aiptasia after 1 - 2 days. They will go nuts eating the aiptasia once they get the taste for them. when I put a new rock in my tank that has aiptasia they eat it over night never to be seen again, I only use peppermint shrimp. There is no use in boiling the rock and getting new stuff that would be a waist of your money that you have already spent..

Bill

lionfaceman
09-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Well I have found the colperate for killing my coral. A small aiptasia on the bottom of the coral. I also removed my fish except my pink spotted gobie. He is one fast fish lol. He should be fine I will feed him every couple dAys. That should be ok?

Kendel

Riptide
09-26-2010, 04:53 AM
Your in Leduc...ten minutes from me I have some Joe juice that will remedy the aptaisa in the imediate area....and then take the others advice on a permanant solution (I'm not familar with natural remedies as I just use the juice). We will just have to be careful not to get any on the coral as it can/will burn it.

I have know clue about how to remove the infected area besides taking a saw or grinder to it (anyone else have any thoughts) as I'm assuming this is a form of SPS.

Any how feel free to call and we can at least provide some temporary relief 780 716 4045 Joe

Riptide
09-26-2010, 05:02 AM
pardon me....LPS :redface:

Christie do you have photographic memory? You look at a pic and remember the name???:mrgreen:

lionfaceman
09-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Well I have taken all fish out and got joes juice and aptasia x. Seems to be workin but that was just one treatment. Also got 6 peppermint shrimp hopefully that works to. Wow it has been a bad month for my tank. Just got over a battle of ick. Lost all my fish except 2 of them. Well hopefully thing get better soon. Thanks to everyone and there input I will post pics tonight of the treated area.

daniella3d
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
I agree on the brown jelly and this is very hard to cure.

The only way to cure this is to cut off the affected part as soon as possible. Make sure you cut every sick out, like at least 1/4" into healthy flesh.

I am not sure those around are aiptasia. They look like palythoas polyps to me but it's hard to juge on the photo.

In any case, if you have access to a microscope at 200x or 400x you should be able to see thousands of protozoare eating the coral flesh and absorbing zooxanthellae from it.

Best way to id this plague.

As for the ick...quarantine.

It kind of looks like the far end of the coral has 'brown jelly infection' to me. If that is the case the whole thing will be gone in a pile of slime within a few days if you dont remove the infected area. Either syphon it out or cut off the covered part.