PDA

View Full Version : Help with algae identification

Polscot
09-25-2010, 09:02 PM
this is my 3rd tank set up and the first time this has happened tank is 2 week old, the water came from a existing system, skimmer in back, cheato, chemi-pure pureigen and carbon also in back its a 29-biocube

ive got a algea issue should i do a cycle of Chemi-clean red slime remover or wait it out

browngreen (with bubbles) algae on ALL the rocks and a flourecent green on the walls

10 hermits
cleaner shrimp
giant turbo snail
3 clowns
orange spot mantis shrimp

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/jasonpolscot/IMG_0807.jpg?t=1285448507

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/jasonpolscot/IMG_0808.jpg?t=1285448526

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/jasonpolscot/IMG_0809.jpg?t=1285448547

MrGoodbytes
09-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Looks like you have dinos (dinoflagellates - the red strings). I had a battle with these earlier this year. There are a few methods that people suggest to rid aquariums of these but I don't think they ever fully leave. Make sure you have zero phosphates for one. I doubt you have anything in there that eats them. A GFO reactor would probably help. I didn't have one so I ended up tearing the reef apart, baster blasting every rock in tank water, and reassembling. A 2 day blackout may work also. Some suggest increasing the alk to higher levels like 10 or above. In the end, after about 6 months of fighting, they diminished when I got a decent skimmer but have never 100% vanished).

You mention things came from another system but you didn't mention if the rock did, which is what's most important (cycled vs uncycled).

Polscot
09-25-2010, 09:30 PM
the rock was baked and bleached and bakes and dryed, so there was absolutly no life on it

ElGuappo
09-25-2010, 10:51 PM
just looks like you had some die off during the move and the tank is going thru a mini cycle... thats just my two pennies.

Riptide
09-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Please excuse me if I'm missing something here....You have had the tank for 2 weeks, using dead rock (no bacteria culture) and have that much livestock in there already? I would be doing some small daily water changes and keeping an eye on amonia.

I'm by no means an expert (just throwing a posibility out there) but could this just be new tank syndrome with an overly stocked tank and no bacteria to remedy it yet?

also how old are the bulbs and what kind

reefwars
09-26-2010, 05:50 AM
Please excuse me if I'm missing something here....You have had the tank for 2 weeks, using dead rock (no bacteria culture) and have that much livestock in there already? I would be doing some small daily water changes and keeping an eye on amonia.

I'm by no means an expert (just throwing a posibility out there) but could this just be new tank syndrome with an overly stocked tank and no bacteria to remedy it yet?

also how old are the bulbs and what kind

would have to agree with no "live" rock and that much livestock your system is fighting a losing battle personally wouldn't add fish in two weeks . Post your water parameters their very important in helping determine the cause. Is it on your sand and glass, the bubbles I mean?? Do you have a powerhead or job filter???

reefwars
09-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Also if you don't scrApe your glass reguraly it will stain it green like on your sides then it becomes hard to clean , wherever light hits your glass allow room for cleaning:) in the first year you may see all sorts of algae bloom's. Oh and ps I hope Its not dyno's hard to tell from pic on my phone:) cheers and goodluck :)

Polscot
09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
got a powerful pwerhead theres nod ead zones for sure, parameters are all 0 or super close to, ive done a chemi clean red slime clean and its all stopped forming and starting to deteriorate

whatcaneyedo
09-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I've watched a few people set up tanks with barren white base rock. They all get that same thing happening. Its a natural progression. The fastest and most unsightly algae and bacteria are first to colonize. As the tank matures and if you look after it well they will be out competed by more desirable types.

lastlight
09-28-2010, 12:45 AM
I had the same thing in my tank. I thought it was diatoms not sure but I left it alone and it cleared up almost overnight after a couple weeks of the bubbles/slimey algae.

Now I've added a lot of new dry rock and some sand to my new tank. This is showing up a little bit again. I think it's a new tank thing and nothing to worry about.