PDA

View Full Version : pieces of 1-2inch see through "silk" floating in water?

Milad
09-25-2010, 12:28 AM
What the heck are these little pieces of "silk" floating in the water. they are see through, im not sure if I can take a picture of it.

ScubaSteve
09-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm gonna go out on a thread here (get it?) and guess that it's mucus from one of your corals or vermetid snails. I wouldn't worry much about it. Post a pic if you can so we can be sure.

hillegom
09-25-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm gonna go out on a thread here (get it?) and guess that it's mucus from one of your corals or vermetid snails. I wouldn't worry much about it. Post a pic if you can so we can be sure.

+1
But I am pretty sure its going out on a "limb" :biggrin:

Delphinus
09-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Vermetids are, on the one hand, harmless ... but on the other hand they will spread and spread and spread and you'll get those tubes on rocks everywhere and those little spiderweb nets everywhere and it can get to a point they irritate SPS and an irritated SPS may as just well be a dead SPS. Soooo .. there is a case to be made to keeping their numbers in check. You can epoxy over the tubes or snip the tubes off ... or maybe a pygmy angel. I had them all over the place and they eventually disappeared after I added a potter's angel.

Milad
09-25-2010, 05:18 AM
i dont think its vermetids, there is no spider webs

the only way I can explain it is its like a small piece of see through silky smooth bed sheet flowing through the water like it was picked up by some wind.

Madreefer
09-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Do you have a foxface? I have seen the same stuff your talking about come from that fish. Don't know if it was some kind of body waste or a mucus that would come from his skin.

Ron99
09-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Do you have a foxface? I have seen the same stuff your talking about come from that fish. Don't know if it was some kind of body waste or a mucus that would come from his skin.

+1 to this idea. Several types of fish will secret a mucous coat at night when they sleep to mask them from predators.

Milad
09-25-2010, 08:17 AM
yes actually i do have a foxface
thats probably what it is.

ElGuappo
09-25-2010, 09:14 AM
+1 to this idea. Several types of fish will secret a mucous coat at night when they sleep to mask them from predators.

many wrasse do this aswell.