PDA

View Full Version : WTF!!!! OMG is this a reef spider?????!!!!!!!!!

fishoholic
09-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I found this in my sump sitting on top of my cheato last night and OMG it looks like a spider!!!!! :eek: :scared: :yuck: :faint: BTW did I mention I HATE spiders!!!!!!! I've never seen anything like it before ever! I'm guessing it came in on the new rock Doug just got for me. Any ideas as to what exactly this is? Good/bad??? Although I guess it doesn't really matter since it's in the sump now. I should add that it's fairly small about half an inch (roughly the size of my pinky finger nail) in size.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/P9230589.jpg

paddyob
09-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I would hate seeing that. If its like any other spider... bound to figure a way up to your tank.

I would flush the little beotch!

BlueTang<3
09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I have heard of zoanthid spiders before but they don't look like yours at all.

fishoholic
09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
I have heard of zoanthid spiders before but they don't look like yours at all.

I checked out the image of a zoanthid spider and you're right it doesn't look like the one I got. I attempted to google "reef spider" but all sorts of creepy spider pic.'s showed up and I couldn't bare to look at them :yuck:

paddyob
09-24-2010, 02:41 PM
And to think that there are sooo many undiscovered creatures in the ocean. There are countless things we can't imagine... and then this spider comes along. Creepy. I don't even like crabs in my tank. :P

How big is it?

fishoholic
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
And to think that there are sooo many undiscovered creatures in the ocean. There are countless things we can't imagine... and then this spider comes along. Creepy. I don't even like crabs in my tank. :P

Absolutely, however crabs I'm ok with spiders creep me out!

It's really small about half an inch.

hillegom
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
flush it

MitchM
09-24-2010, 02:56 PM
On top of your cheato?

I think it might just be a house spider that somehow wound up there.

Mitch

TheMikey
09-24-2010, 03:15 PM
On top of your cheato?

I think it might just be a house spider that somehow wound up there.

Mitch

That's my guess as well. It looks like a common jumping spider that we can find in Canada. I've only seen black and green ones in Saskatchewan, but it looks a lot like that one in the picture.

Perhaps more revealing though is that this spider doesn't have any traditional evolutionary traits of an aquatic bug. The legs are far too short and the tips not large enough for it to float on the water like other water bugs. Also, the large abdomen on the spider suggests that it still uses its silk like most other spiders and is not a water-dwelling creature. Also, if it were a water-spider it probably would have retreated into the sump had you come close and my guess is that it didn't - probably because it doesn't like getting wet :)

Most likely it was hanging around in your sump area and saw a pod on the top of your chaeto and jumped in an attempt for food. Its silk tether may have let go and it might have got stuck on your chaeto which is why you were able to find it.

Don't flush it though! Put it in a jar or something and set it free. Spiders are sweet. Especially jumping spiders! If anyone's interested here's a vid of one in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxbuysNGLOM&feature=fvw

Delphinus
09-24-2010, 04:28 PM
There are such things as underwater species of spiders however they look *nothing* like terrestrial spiders. This is a land spider that wound up on the floating mat of chaeto.

I second the nomination to set it free outside and let it do its job of catching and eating the the more annoying bugs like skeeters and flies and aphids and/or whatever else they eat. :)

paddyob
09-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I am in Edmonton and have never seen a red spider like this crawling around. Perhaps it is a land spider... BUT maybe it came in on fruit or something from another place... I would flush it to be cautious.

fishoholic
09-24-2010, 04:42 PM
EWWWWWW Did I mention how I hate spiders, even creepier to think it's a jumping one!!!!!!!! :scared: Now I'm scared to look and see if it's still there :evil:

Sorry but there will be no catching and releasing, if I see him in the sump I am going to drown that sucker! Unless someone else wants to come over (feel free to pm, as I'll probably avoid the sump area for a bit) and catch it, I will kill it if I have a chance/get brave enough to.

Hummmmm I believe Steve (Red coral) owes me a favor :lol:

Delphinus
09-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Good grief. Take a piece of kleenex, pick her up and toss the whole wad outside. Show us some GRRRRRRL power!!!! :p

Even if she were a tropical species hitchhiked in some piece of fruit, she won't survive a night outside. I've been trying to google spider species to see what yours there can be but not getting anywhere on it. Thing is (and I'm in Calgary) I've seen some spectacularly coloured spiders around here. There's one with the same shape as this one that I've seen as both fluorescent green and another that's bright banana yellow. I forget what kind it was though. I'll have to ask my WIFE who is the resident bug expert in my family. :lol: They can pick a colour to blend into their backgrounds (ie. leafs or flowers) and this one seems to be matching its current background as best it can and I have to wonder if that's not really coincidence.

Live and let live I say. Consider this a test on your character! :p You can do it.

lockrookie
09-24-2010, 04:50 PM
use a shop vac you my lose some cheato butit will be gone.

MitchM
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
If there were no spiders (or beetles) in this world, you would soon wish there were!
They hunt down and eat mites, insects, larvae and other nasty pests.

They are nature's Roomba's!:cool:

Mitch

fishoholic
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM
If there were no spiders (or beetles) in this world, you would soon wish there were!
They hunt down and eat mites, insects, larvae and other nasty pests.

They are nature's Roomba's!:cool:

Mitch

This is very true but I dislike like the thought of getting too close to it.

Sorry guys but when I see a spider I squish it as fast as I can before I lose sight of it, just can't stand the thought of them crawling around where I can't see them :yuck:

Delphinus
09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Poor things. :(

Rogue951
09-24-2010, 05:06 PM
just flip the pile of chaeto with it on it, add to the biosphere of the tank. lol.

fishoholic
09-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Good grief. Take a piece of kleenex, pick her up and toss the whole wad outside. Show us some GRRRRRRL power!!!! :p

Live and let live I say. Consider this a test on your character! :p You can do it.

Does it count that I no longer scream to high heaven whenever I see a spider? Because trust me I used to! Now I just shudder and shake and freak out a bit and try to kill it as fast as possible so I don't have to think of it crawling on me when I'm not aware of it (I'm sure someone will say it's probably happened and I've heard you will eat a certain amount of spiders in your sleep etc.) however if I can prevent one less in my house, I will. Besides Tony I'm more of a character then have good character :wink:

fishoholic
09-24-2010, 05:16 PM
just flip the pile of chaeto with it on it, add to the biosphere of the tank. lol.

That's my plan, however if there is someone in the Edmonton area that would like to come and try to rescue it shoot me a pm otherwise later on tonight flipping the cheato over with long snail grabbers (so I don't have to get to close) sounds great to me. Of course this is all assuming the spider is still there, kinda to freaked out about it to check. Of course I will check before someone comes over, if anyone even wants to come over that is.

paddyob
09-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Does it count that I no longer scream to high heaven whenever I see a spider? Because trust me I used to! Now I just shudder and shake and freak out a bit and try to kill it as fast as possible so I don't have to think of it crawling on me when I'm not aware of it (I'm sure someone will say it's probably happened and I've heard you will eat a certain amount of spiders in your sleep etc.) however if I can prevent one less in my house, I will. Besides Tony I'm more of a character then have good character :wink:

Do you have a "wet/dry" vac? Just flick the switch real fast. REEEEAL FAST! Hahahahah!:razz:

reefwars
09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird.
How absurd! To swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
That wiggled and jiggled and tickled insider her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
I don't know why she swallowed a fly.
I guess she'll die.

You can try to put a bird in there to catch the spider, if you need to get rid of the bird just follow the rest of the ryhme it's step by step instructions:):)

lastlight
09-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Poor guy getting all salty. I've trained my daughter well. When we find spiders we tell mom we threw them outside but we put them in a lower traffic spot and let'em go do their thing. Like me tho she doesn't treat ants quite as nice haha.

PoonTang
09-24-2010, 09:03 PM
What will you do if he is no longer in your sump? Where did he go? Under your bed? In your closet? Just waiting around the next corner to pounce when you least expect it? :twised:

fishoholic
09-24-2010, 09:29 PM
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird.
How absurd! To swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
That wiggled and jiggled and tickled insider her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
I don't know why she swallowed a fly.
I guess she'll die.

You can try to put a bird in there to catch the spider, if you need to get rid of the bird just follow the rest of the ryhme it's step by step instructions:):)

:lol: I'll get right on that Denny!

What will you do if he is no longer in your sump? Where did he go? Under your bed? In your closet? Just waiting around the next corner to pounce when you least expect it? :twised:

And that's why I hate spiders so very much, you just never know where one's lurking :twised: That is also why I haven't checked the sump, because as much as I don't want to see it again it's much worse not know where it is :evil: