PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halides in Low Canopies

dbdavid
11-30-2003, 10:24 PM
I just installed on of the Sun Aquatics 250W 10K bulb in my canopy. I do not have a reflector and the bulb is about 2" from the top of the canopy. I ran the bulb for about half an hour and started to smell burning wood! :eek: I had a 5" fan running pointing directly at the bulb as I know that metal halides run hot.

Will a reflector dissipate the heat to any extent or am I resigned to building a new taller canopy? Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Dave

Aquattro
11-30-2003, 10:50 PM
A MH bulb 2 inches from wood will almost certainly cause a fire. Install a reflector with a bit of air space above it.

sleeman
11-30-2003, 11:47 PM
You can try U Grow on the south side. 18' and 24' reflectors for about 25 bucks. They are white, not polished aluminium. From what I understand, the white will work just fine, and much cheaper. When you mount it, you should put a couple of 1"*1" strips of wood onto the canopy and mount the reflector to that. This will allow some air movement above the reflector.

Cheers,

Al

dbdavid
12-01-2003, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the input. I have figured out a way to lift the whole hood 6 inches higher. I will also check out the reflector with an air space behind it.

The light looked awsome while it was on!

Dave

kuatto
12-01-2003, 01:16 AM
Hey Dave
is your bulb from Venki,if so how'd you find them for startup and overall lighting?(i just ordered a few 250 10k bulbs)
are you coming to the meet on Dec 06?

Jim

dbdavid
12-01-2003, 01:41 AM
Hi Jim, yes I got it from Venki along with the electronic ballast. I also ordered 2 - 400W bulbs and ballasts from him for an upcoming tank.

It took about 3-4 minutes before the light came on. I don't know if this is normal or not for an electronic ballast so I was going to ask Venki about it on Monday. My other 400W non-electronic ballast fires up right away. Other than that the light looked good while it was on. Hopefully I will be able to rig up a reflector and raise the hood soon.

I won't be able to make the meeting this time but would like to attend a future one with some acro frags in hand. :smile: