PDA

View Full Version : Acclimation Effects

reefcat
09-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Just a random question here: can acclimating a fish/invert/coral or anything too quickly have long term afffects and years of their life?

reefwars
09-23-2010, 10:57 PM
aBsolutely it's one of the most important parts some fish never heal from not being properly introduced and some get disease and die. I spend on average 3hs acclimating and I'm one of the impatient ones, also I hope you qt your dish to reduce disease:)

ScubaSteve
09-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Interesting question... Real noodle scratcher.

I'd guess that likely not. For example, if I took you and placed you in some place in Africa you'd be uncomfortable and sweating your butt off until you became acclimated to the climate (or as we say "getting used to it"); you're not going to die sooner because of that.

Now, making the camparison between us and corals is pretty stupid. I know. More the issue with acclimating too quickly is that you stress the animal which makes them more susceptable to become sick and die.

So in short, a shorter life... probably not. More easy sick (thus shorter life), likely.

reefwars
09-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I don't think it will take Years off your fishes lifeits more of a stress thing ;)