PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI filter....really????

sharky222
09-23-2010, 06:14 PM
I am trying to decide whether to buy an RO/DI filter before I do my first fill. Is this really necessary? I live in Calgary (but have just moved here from out east, so not sure what the water's like -- anyone know if it's safe to use Calgary tapwater in tanks?!). I wouldn't have dared to do that back in Toronto :) .

Also, anyone know where I could by a decent RO/DI in person, rather than mail order? I want to fill the tank this weekend, since I won't have much time for the next weeks to go much further. (Yes, I know this hobby is all about patience..... ;) ).

Ross
09-23-2010, 06:30 PM
I've used Calgary Tapwater for a year and a half without too many issues.
Depending on where you are in the city your water can either be from the Bow River or the Glenmore Reservoir. My water is from the bow. The TDS sits around 140 typically.
I've had success with simple SPS (birdsnest, monti caps, monti's, etc) I've also lost a fair number of more decicate SPS.
I cant tell you if this is the source water driven or Nitrate driven.
My LPS/Softy tank has been fine on tap water, no crazy growth, but no algae issues either.

Red Coral has locally sourced 4 stage RO/DI units for $200.
Ocean city carries the same thing at the same price.
Golds costs a fair bit more from what I remember.

sharky222
09-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks! Is water from the Glenmore clearer? I think that's where mine comes from. Golds is my main source for stuff, and yes, their filters are pricier. Everything else is very reasonable though.

ColinD
09-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks! Is water from the Glenmore clearer? I think that's where mine comes from. Golds is my main source for stuff, and yes, their filters are pricier. Everything else is very reasonable though.

I think mine is from Glenmore res and out of the tap TDS is around 240ppm, I've opted out for using bottled as I only do 4 gallon water changes.

Colin

Ross
09-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks! Is water from the Glenmore clearer? I think that's where mine comes from.

I dont know if the reservior water is cleaner or not. I'd assume the opposite. Yes rain fall is rather clean, but then it lands on every pesticide covered lawn, bituman based road, industrial park in SW Calgary and then flows into the reservior at that point.

Drink up!

Sean
09-23-2010, 06:55 PM
I get my water at safeway, from the culligan machine. I had much more success with Filter water over tap water. Of course I have also learned tons more since the days of using tap water. :)

sharky222
09-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Wow, glad I asked....I assumed reservoir water would be cleaner for some reason. I think an RO/DI purchase is in my immediate future.....

sharky222
09-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Also....what is ppm, and what is TDS, and what are the optimal readings I should be aiming for?

Ross
09-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Also....what is ppm, and what is TDS, and what are the optimal readings I should be aiming for?

TDS = Total Disolved Solids
PPM = Parts Per million

ideal number is 0

http://nihalwater.com/FAQ_clip_image002_0000.jpg

Zoaelite
09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm a big fan of an RO unit not only for the tank but for your family, I have a Kinetico VX system running for the tank and the Kinetico K5 for drinking water.

It might sound snobbish but I can't drink tap water now, It just tastes to funny after having water that is completely filtered. If you get the chance to go to a Kinetico retailer they will let you have a side by side taste comparison of both waters, this was the selling point for me.

Albertan22
09-24-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm a big fan of an RO unit not only for the tank but for your family, I have a Kinetico VX system running for the tank and the Kinetico K5 for drinking water.

It might sound snobbish but I can't drink tap water now, It just tastes to funny after having water that is completely filtered. If you get the chance to go to a Kinetico retailer they will let you have a side by side taste comparison of both waters, this was the selling point for me.

I'm lucky in that my tap water is pretty good for drinking, but I've lived in places that we've had to filter it. You want to be careful drinking RO/DI because you're removing all the minerals, ions, etc, including both the good and the bad. Your body actually needs many of the substances filtered from the water. If you're going to drink RO/DI water over the long term, you should talk to a nutrition expert about supplements.

In regards to a reef tank, I'd go with the RO/DI unit. You don't really know what's in your tapwater. By filtering it, you start with a clean slate, and control the substances in your water through your salt mix.

intarsiabox
09-24-2010, 03:37 AM
The directions for my 4 stage RO/DI systems was to only drink the water that goes through the particulate, carbon and RO membrane and not the DI filter. My tap water tastes great and I don't care for the taste of RO but it's nice to have in the event of a contaminated water supply and it also makes great coffee!

Zoaelite
09-24-2010, 04:17 AM
I'm lucky in that my tap water is pretty good for drinking, but I've lived in places that we've had to filter it. You want to be careful drinking RO/DI because you're removing all the minerals, ions, etc, including both the good and the bad. Your body actually needs many of the substances filtered from the water. If you're going to drink RO/DI water over the long term, you should talk to a nutrition expert about supplements.

In regards to a reef tank, I'd go with the RO/DI unit. You don't really know what's in your tapwater. By filtering it, you start with a clean slate, and control the substances in your water through your salt mix.

The Kinetico has an additional Mineral Cartridge that add's back the necessary minerals for you, thanks for the heads up though!

Albertan22
09-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Cool, I didn't know that, maybe I'll have to look at them.

StirCrazy
09-25-2010, 12:05 AM
. You want to be careful drinking RO/DI because you're removing all the minerals, ions, etc, including both the good and the bad. Your body actually needs many of the substances filtered from the water. If you're going to drink RO/DI water over the long term, you should talk to a nutrition expert about supplements.

thats actualy an old wife's tale started by mineral water companies. if you eat you get more than enough minerals from your food.

Steve

reefwars
09-25-2010, 12:47 AM
thats actualy an old wife's tale started by mineral water companies. if you eat you get more than enough minerals from your food.

Steve

true i would think alot of our food is water based anyways:)

kylejordan
09-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I've got a home made DI Filter, RO is nice but I find it unneccesary, my filter litterally cost me like 55 bucks for filters chambers and plumbing, and my TDS is 13ppm going in and 0 coming out! most of the parts you can get from Rona or Homedepot and the filters you get from your LFS. mine is 2 chamber large particle filter followed by DI, it runs fast clean and quick!

frd72
09-27-2010, 08:04 PM
I've got a home made DI Filter, RO is nice but I find it unneccesary, my filter litterally cost me like 55 bucks for filters chambers and plumbing, and my TDS is 13ppm going in and 0 coming out! most of the parts you can get from Rona or Homedepot and the filters you get from your LFS. mine is 2 chamber large particle filter followed by DI, it runs fast clean and quick!

I think i will agree with this. I have a 4 stage RO/DI and the waste water is just crazy not environment friendly. I read couple of articles too that RO and DI does same thing. So on the weekend i tried disconnecting the RO, then install the TDS meter after DI and this was the result:
Before: IN- 13 OUT- 0
After: IN- 12 or 13 OUT - 0 or 1
less waste and good for the environment. hopefully it will work out..
Just my reaction...\\:biggrin:

StirCrazy
09-28-2010, 05:27 PM
. I read couple of articles too that RO and DI does same thing.

Same sort of result but not the same thing, and there is a lot of stuff the ro strips out that a DI won't touch.

RO strips all the minerals/chemicals out of the water and leaves you with nothing but pure water. DI is a Ion exchange process where salts are replaced with Hydrogen making your water acidic and then the next resin makes it normal.

in industry where DI is called for is polishing ro water as a DI doesent remove a lot of the contamanants so you use the RO to remove the bulk and then a DI to remove anything else. on its own a DI will not last very log at all.

We used DI water for out boilers as it has to be absolutly cleen water, but the water went through a RO first down to about 5ppm then went through a two stage DI, mixed bed resins are very inefficient, the best way to do it would be to have one resin then the next resin in a different cartrage.

Steve

frd72
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for another good information. But i am going to try it anyway, my water bill went sky rocket because of the waste water...:mrgreen:

Ron99
09-28-2010, 08:44 PM

Steve

+1000 The amount of dissolved minerals in our water is so far below our dietary requirements it makes no difference. We get all of our minerals; calcium, magnesium, etc. from our food, not water.

Zoaelite
09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I think i will agree with this. I have a 4 stage RO/DI and the waste water is just crazy not environment friendly. I read couple of articles too that RO and DI does same thing. So on the weekend i tried disconnecting the RO, then install the TDS meter after DI and this was the result:
Before: IN- 13 OUT- 0
After: IN- 12 or 13 OUT - 0 or 1
less waste and good for the environment. hopefully it will work out..
Just my reaction...\\:biggrin:

Must be nice to have water going in that isn't at almost 200 TDS to start :razz:.

Same sort of result but not the same thing, and there is a lot of stuff the ro strips out that a DI won't touch.

RO strips all the minerals/chemicals out of the water and leaves you with nothing but pure water. DI is a Ion exchange process where salts are replaced with Hydrogen making your water acidic and then the next resin makes it normal.

in industry where DI is called for is polishing ro water as a DI doesent remove a lot of the contamanants so you use the RO to remove the bulk and then a DI to remove anything else. on its own a DI will not last very log at all.

We used DI water for out boilers as it has to be absolutly cleen water, but the water went through a RO first down to about 5ppm then went through a two stage DI, mixed bed resins are very inefficient, the best way to do it would be to have one resin then the next resin in a different cartrage.

Steve
+1, perfect info in there.

StirCrazy
09-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Thanks for another good information. But i am going to try it anyway, my water bill went sky rocket because of the waste water...:mrgreen:

realy?? how much water were you making? I was going over 50 gal per week in victoria and my water bill never changed at all. you must have an awfull high water consumption to start with..

Steve