PDA

View Full Version : SPS Coral growth and trimming question

newreefer_59
09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Have had this coral in my tank for about a year now, and has really taken off in growth. My question is what is the proper care if i want to trim the coral and/or frag some off to sell, or whatever.

Is is mainly a question of aesthetics or should it be 'cut back' a certain way, etc? Not the best pic here, but this Montipora Capricornis (monti) and a Seriatopora hystrix (Bird's nest). Also, not pictured are 3 resident crabs with very hairy legs and eyes spread far apart. They seem to live on both of these corals........is there a 'trick' to catching the little fellers. I have been advised they may not be a good thing over the long term.

Thanks

fishytime
09-22-2010, 11:56 PM
If your at the point where you need to start sniping the birdsnest, its probably best to invest in a good pair of stainless cutters.....you can snap pieces off with your fingers, but the breaks will be random(it never breaks where you want it to....sometimes even with cutters:lol:).....as for the cap the same cutters can be used but ive always used my fingers.....montis tend to be a lot more brittle than other sps species and usually break where you want them to:wink:

chris88
09-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Agreed

If your at the point where you need to start sniping the birdsnest, its probably best to invest in a good pair of stainless cutters.....you can snap pieces off with your fingers, but the breaks will be random(it never breaks where you want it to....sometimes even with cutters:lol:).....as for the cap the same cutters can be used but ive always used my fingers.....montis tend to be a lot more brittle than other sps species and usually break where you want them to:wink:

cuz
09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
I'd just re-locate the birdsnest and grow that monti into a monster showpiece!!!

bvlester
09-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Hay is that a pink monti or is the color washed from not having a filter on the camera.

Looks great though..

Bill

Lance
09-23-2010, 03:13 AM

+1 on the fragging............ and KILL those crabs!