PDA

View Full Version : My reef Experience so far.

Sean
09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm still in the process of learning things with this hobby but I thought id share my experience for reference sakes. :)

I'm not really good at testing my water levels, but I have been keeping up with my water changes and I look for signs to help me figure out when something is off. 1 thing I have notice is that my Toad Stool mushrooms is great for letting me know when something might be off in my tank.

The other thing I have experienced is that my LPS seem to be doing very well in comparison to my softies. I held off as long as I could from buying these corals as I heard they were more of a challenge. I slowly caved and started adding them to my tank and I have had more success with them then my softies. I still haven't had any sucess with Colts and Zoo's, I was thinking of trying again but for now i'm addicted to my LPS.

Does anyone think that maybe my tank is too small with my experience to hold both types of coral together? something to consider when starting into the hobby.

Happy Reefing :)

Rbacchiega
09-22-2010, 08:33 PM
what size tank? Mixing corals isn't USUALLY a problem so long as there's space enough between conflicitng corals, and proper water conditions are maintained... It all depends on what type of look you're going for really. LPS dominant, Softy dominant etc...mixed reefs are not uncommon at all and they can be done in small aquariums, just take a little more thought and planning out.

Sean
09-22-2010, 08:48 PM
It's a 28g Nano cube, So far there are only 4 coral in the tank and I have them at opposite sides of eachother. Iv been taking it really slow, and in all honesty I haven't tried any softies in a little bit because they werent doing so well at first. I had a Colt coral and right when I got him he just stayed limp. I had him resting on a rock on my sand bed but because he was soo limp i moved him up on the rocks so things weren't walking on top.. He never did stand up and slowly passed away.

Rbacchiega
09-22-2010, 08:50 PM
break down the specifics of the tank. I know you said you weren't great a testing levels, hell, neither am I...but usually with regular water changes you should be fine...but just incase, give the tests a once over and post here. Also, what are you running for lights? Stock? usually if your LPS are doing well everything else should follow suit.

Sean
09-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeup Light is the HQI stock, I'll do some tests in the next couple of days and post back here ;)

gobytron
09-22-2010, 09:25 PM
you might have too much light for many softies and zoas...

Rbacchiega
09-22-2010, 09:47 PM
you might have too much light for many softies and zoas...

Good point! Placement is key in terms of lighting as well....

Sean
09-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Doh heheh, I went with the JBJ instead of the redsea because I figured one day I would be kicking myself for not having enough light. Live and learn ;)

Sean
10-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Found my problem! It was a Emerald Crab, he was caught picking at the little soft corals and then using the big ones as his personal chair. I added a clam a few weeks back and he walked right up to it and tried to pick at it.. The clam closed shut and he lost one of his claws. His name is now lefty and he does not go anywhere near my coral. :D

kevNnic
10-08-2010, 08:55 PM
lol lefty is a good name for him, my emerald crab has been good to me so far. Named him claude, he was messing around with my anemone a while back but i think he learned his lesson.