PDA

View Full Version : Need your thought: would this method kill aiptasia

Coleus
09-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Well, I have bunch of live rock with aiptasia, killing them individually won't work for me. So my question is can i make a QT tank and pour in bunch of kalk to raise the ph high and dip those rocks in? Would this kill them? or i should go with idea of drying the rock?

bvlester
09-22-2010, 05:30 AM
It may work but you can use boiling water and use a turkey baster and bast the area you want to, this way you keep some of the bio logical life in tact. Only do one side at a time then let it sit in a QT and do another side a few days latter the side you did first will be dead. You have to let it is in the boiling water till the buggers turn white then they are dead and any spores they release will die also. or you can bast them till they die and you will have more of the rock survive. remember to brush the spots that you use boiling water on. I have done this before on a few rocks I got from a guy here in Kamloops kills them dead never to come back.

Bill

mark
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
If you want to kill all the life on your LR there's easier ways than dipping in a kalk solution. Seen this recent poll (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=68268) for control?

Coleus
09-22-2010, 03:55 PM
It may work but you can use boiling water and use a turkey baster and bast the area you want to, this way you keep some of the bio logical life in tact. Only do one side at a time then let it sit in a QT and do another side a few days latter the side you did first will be dead. You have to let it is in the boiling water till the buggers turn white then they are dead and any spores they release will die also. or you can bast them till they die and you will have more of the rock survive. remember to brush the spots that you use boiling water on. I have done this before on a few rocks I got from a guy here in Kamloops kills them dead never to come back.

Bill

Thanks Bill, the problem is they are all over the rock so boiling water will very much kill the rock so maybe it is easier for me just to dry them out and then reseed the rock later?

If you want to kill all the life on your LR there's easier ways than dipping in a kalk solution. Seen this recent poll (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=68268) for control?

Thanks but all this method wont be an easy job for a massive 250 lbs of live rock that are full of aiptasia, we are talking about live rock with full of aiptasia

Skimmerking
09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Looks like its time for a good cleaning of the rock. get a tub and corals in there witha hang on and feed less with a light and bam turn up the heat in the tank.