PDA

View Full Version : Berghia Nudibranch

Edmonton newbie
09-22-2010, 12:39 AM
anybody in edmonton ever try these berghias out? are they all they say? anybody have some here?

BlueWorldAquatic
09-22-2010, 12:49 AM
My shipment is due in tomorrow.

Ken

Edmonton newbie
09-22-2010, 01:04 AM
how much? how many you getting?

Ross
09-22-2010, 01:11 AM
anybody have some here?

I bought 2 from Red Coral last week, and havent seen them since tossing them in... hopefully they are doing something for what they cost.
Aside from foweling the water.

BlueWorldAquatic
09-22-2010, 02:35 AM
I got 50 coming.

Here is a c/p from my supplier;

"Are Berghia 100% effective all of the time?
Berghia are sea slugs. This means they require good aquarium conditions to thrive, including good water quality (under 20ppm of nitrates, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites), a lack of predators and slower or medium water current that allows them to cling to the live rock while moving from one Aiptasia to another.

If you have 40 or more Aiptasia in your tank it is a good idea to have enough Berghia so they can find each other to mate. Two Berghia must fertilize each other to get fertile eggs. The eggs may hatch and new Berghia continue to populate the tank making the Aiptasia disappear at a much faster rate. Successful Berghia reproduction sometimes happens in display tanks but not all of the time.

There is a chance that the Berghia will not find all of the Aiptasia before they die off. They usually eat the smallest Aiptasia first and move on from there.

Berghia are nocturnal eaters. If you find a Berghia in the tank during the day, chances are it is having a hard time finding an Aiptasia to eat. If possible, turn off your pump and powerheads, then use a pipet or other small suction device to move the Berghia close to an Aiptasia.

If you only have 6 or 8 Aiptasia, we do not recommend using Berghia to eradicate them. The Berghia may starve before they can find all of the aiptasia in your tank. We recommend using Berghia for a moderate to heavy Aiptasia problem."

To make them more effective you have to remove predators fish or shrimp that may eat them.

Ken - BWA