PDA

View Full Version : birdsnest algae cure?

e46er
09-22-2010, 12:00 AM
So over the last 3 weeks Ive moved my tank i moved outta my parents house and as much as the old man wanted the tank to stay it didnt............ Id thrown my corals and fish into a 33 i had lying around and on Sunday finally got to the point of bringing the LR over, i got the rock setup and some new sand in im going with about 1/2" this time see if i like it better.

now my birdsnest had some hair algae in it and after 2 weeks in the 33 its covered ive picked off as much as I can but it still looks green.
Is there anything i can do to it to get rid of it? a dip in anything ?
I dont really wanna throw him back in my display tank all green
thanks
Kent

e46er
09-23-2010, 04:55 AM
nobody has an idea or am i just screwed

chris88
09-23-2010, 01:50 PM
cut of the covered and keep the good tissue. Once algae over-takes a birdnest its going to kill the tissue tis attached to.

edreinink
09-23-2010, 08:13 PM
fluval puts out a product called phosphate remover. I used this product and within a week all my hair algae was gone. It doesn't harm the corals in any way. A jar costs about 20 bucks and will last you a year.

chris88
09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
may solve the problem but trust me dead tissue on a birnest is going to grow algae no matter what. Your only chance of saving this thing is to cut off the dead or coverd issue and lower your nutrients so that the algae doesnt come back.

e46er
09-24-2010, 01:23 AM
yea ok thanks ive battled phosphates since the tank was set up 2 years ago now that i moved it i started fresh and all seems well got a much bigger skimmer and tank has never been so clear...........granted there is no fish in it yet...........i was worried the rocks were leaching but apparently not must have just been a few dead zones for flow where crap gathered