PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated!! Please Explain.

doch
09-21-2010, 02:53 AM
OK... I have 2 homes... one for living, and one for working. In each home I have a tank... 1 55 gal well cared for, properly maintained well equipped tank, and one 12 gal poorly maintaned, ill equipped tank. The 55 has 6 bulbs of T5ho, a Remora Skimmer, GFO/Carbon Reactor, lots of flow, proper dosing (3 part as well as a bunch of KZ supplements, and pods and rotifers) UV sterilizer etc. The 12 gal has a 150W pendant, and as of today has a reactor with N/P X pellets, has never been skimmed or dosed. The 55 has a 10-20% water change about 3 of every four weekends, and the filter floss gets changed every 2-3 weeks. The 12 has NEVER had a water change in the 6 months it's been running, and I've never changed/washed the sponge in the filter chamber. I test the 55 on a regular basis for Alk (~7) Ca (~380-400) Mg (1250-1400) pH (8.2) Phos (<.1 on a Hanna) Nitrates show up clear on the test kit, Amonia and Nitrites are undetectable. I've never tested or adjusted anything on the 12 gal. All that I ever do to the 12 is add a little water once a week, sometimes with prime, sometimes without.

Here's the thing: My 12 has WAY better growth and polyp extension. (Not as good colours though).

Any ideas?

Oh, and the 55 is in Edmonton, and the 12 is in Fort Mac... I would assume the Edmonton water to be cleaner???

chris88
09-21-2010, 03:13 AM
It's all about the tap water up here in fort mac lol. If i were to guess i would say that your nitrates are higher in the 12 gal hence the increased growth rate. Corals use nitrates to grow as well but the increased level may be why your colors are lack luster in the 12 gal. Also, not having a skimmer in your 12 gal means you will have a lot more phyto growing naturally which also means more plankton for the corals to eat. I would love to see pics of both takes.

lorenz0
09-21-2010, 03:26 AM
what type of corals are you comparing. From what i am reading I am thinking sps

doch
09-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Who knows Chris, maybe the water is better!! lol. All I've got in there are 2 digi's, one confusa and a birdsnest (all of which I have in Edmonton as well) and the one digi especially has grown more in the last 4-6 weeks than any of my SPS in Edmonton. My digi's in Edm haven't grown at all and had zero polyp extension... Fort Mac they are out in full and growing almost daily. My LPS (hammer and froggy) in Edmonton are growing well (almost too fast), as are some mushrooms and zoas... just can't quite figure out the SPS... damnit!! 2 things that cross my mind are: 1. Color combo (`14k-15k on the 55 and 10K on the 12) That said, high end bulbs (KZ) on the 55, Coralife on the 12.
2. My house in Edm. was built in '56... could the old cast iron piping be causing any problems? Most everything has been updated to PVC and copper, but there is still some cast in spots.

The only other thing is that in the 12 I have rock that I picked up from Dez's sump... maybe some of his SPS steroids have transferred into my 12? LMAO!!! (If this is the case, Dez, If you're reading... do you have any more rock for sale??)