PDA

View Full Version : Orange sun coral won't eat

jorjef
09-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I've had this coral for about three weeks now and it ha yet to "fully" open up. It does go from the inverted cone look to about flush with the edges of the "pods" I'll call them. It does show small open mouths when I squirt mysis juice to entice it to open, i've done this 2-3 times per week. Last night I took it out and put it in a tupperware with tank water and gave it a mysis shower, left it for about 30 minutes under a heating pad to keep the temp up and even with Mysis draped all over it it never ate... Stubborn SOB. It has only had minor color loss on the skeleton since I got it....I don't know how it has stayed alive to this point or how much longer it can.. Anyone had a similar experience....It has to have at least 75-100 heads and the lighting is far from too bright 48 watts of T5 at about 20" Nitrates are high but I have two other Sun corals that are doing fine...I thought if anything it would have died from the nitrates or become accustom to them.

Snaz
09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Sun corals are not photosynthetic so keep them out from under direct light if you can. They can usually be counted on to open about 30 - 60 minutes after lights out and again about an hour before lights on. My Dendro while not a proper sun coral but similar has gone two weeks sometimes without opening up and then one day it's back better than ever and hungry!

jorjef
09-21-2010, 12:16 AM
I have watched after lights out and in the middle of the night still no even close to being fully opened. You dendros made me think of something that while not a dendros mine isn't the typical sun coral. Rather than having stubby/ flat type of skeleton my orange one is branching like a tree. The hard skeleton reaches about 2-3 inches above the rock it's on. The skeleton is about the size of a soft ball with about 4-5 limbs. Anyways just thought I would note the difference.....