PDA

View Full Version : New system need advice on Best Timer and Fuge Lighting setup.

Fellow
09-20-2010, 08:12 PM
With my new tank I upgraded my lights but unfortunately this fixture does not have a handy built in timer like my last one.

The new fixture has two power cords one for each bank of lights. I am looking for a single timer that will allow me to run both banks on separate schedules. Anyone swear by their timer enough to recommend it?

Also what are all of you using to light your fuge? I am moving from a sumpless system so I am looking for a safe solution for lighting my fuge?

Shoddy cell picture of my new setup: http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/FellowPhoto/th_IMG_0711.jpg (http://s854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/FellowPhoto/?action=view&current=IMG_0711.jpg)

Sunee
09-20-2010, 10:18 PM
I have been using a Coralife timer for about 2 1/2 years and have had no problems with it and it was reasonably priced. My only complaint is having to reset the time for daylight savings time. I got it from J&L, tried to get you the link but I can't connect to their website. It is the one with the two timer dials at each end of the bar.

ILIKECOUGARS
09-20-2010, 10:49 PM
I would stay away from coralife timers, there not worth the money you pay for them. I had a coralife dual timer, and it crap out in about 8 months. Look at Wallmart for timers, why paid for a coralife brand name when walmart has the same timer for far less of the price that you will pay for a coralife timer. For fuge lighting I would pick up a clip-on lamp holder with a 6500k cf flood bulb

bvlester
09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
+1 on the comment about Walmart ILIKECOUGARS they do not carry the dual timers but you can get the digital timers I am in the process of modifying one at the moment you need to make a connection to the N/C terminal of the timer. the N/C connector runs on the opposite cycle as the one that is connected to the timer presently. Make sure that you cut the bar and make a connection to it with the lead from the N/C connection if you are splitting the side that is on the timer currently. What I do is instead of having one half on all the time I connect that side to the N/C connector. pretty easy. Then if you want MH and T5's on at opposite times you can and if you want them both off at the same time you will have to have 2 different timers running so buy 2 digital timers and use the one up modified to run one set of lights and your light for the fudge then they will be on a opposite times.

Bill

Bloodasp
09-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Sump lights don't need to be fancy. Just buy one of those clip on lamps or any lamp that you can securely put in your sump area without toppling over and getting wet and get one of those power compacts that say daylight on it.

ILIKECOUGARS
09-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Dual timer from Walmart
http://www.walmart.ca/details?assetId=48835&fromSearch=true

Sunee
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
How much is the WalMart timer? I've been looking for another timer for my sump lights in a new set up and so far everything I have seen in the hardware stores are unsuitable and or expensive.

As for Coralife timers being crap, I paid less than $30 for mine and it is still working perfectly after 2 1/2 years. Maybe I was lucky but I based my recommendation on my experience.

Fellow
09-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the responses as for timers, I went overboard and ordered a Reef Keeper Elite :redface:

gobytron
09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
the thing is, you can buy the generic versions of the coralife timers from just about anywhere...

sears sells them for 7.99 and they are identical other than branding and you don't get the blue and yellow colored plugs...

They don't work at all as a surge protector, I've seen these flare up and not trip time and time again.

Sunee
09-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Glad you found something - that is one nice timer you bought!!!

Joe Reefer
09-22-2010, 11:42 PM
That tank looks good. Where did you get it? :mrgreen:

Lampshade
09-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Didn't someone on here have a housefire from a Coralife timer? Nice buy on the RKE, you'll be happy with it.

Fellow
09-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I am going to hijack my own thread seeing you wandered in here Lando.

Finally got the tank wet last night, looks incredible in the basement!

So far my only concern is the loud gurgle from the overflow draining. I inserted a short piece of airline into the drain cap which helped a bit. Though it still has the tendency to sound like a dishwasher. Any ideas?

Sand goes in tonight. Fish and Rock on Saturday. Ill be swinging by the store for a new CUC and some GFO this week or next..

cale262
09-23-2010, 04:52 PM
For my fuge I bought a nice little 30 LED lamp from the Home Depot...Works great, IMNoobO :thumb:

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15789.UL179_4.jpg