PDA

View Full Version : Volume Math

sumpfinfishe
11-30-2003, 09:31 AM
Hi there,
I forgot how to calculate the water volume when dealing with tank dimensions. :rolleyes: Can someone please let me know how many gallons and how litres this would work out to be L42xW14xH14

thanks, Rich :mrgreen:

Beverly
11-30-2003, 12:37 PM
I forgot how to calculate the water volume when dealing with tank dimensions. :rolleyes: Can someone please let me know how many gallons and how litres this would work out to be L42xW14xH14

42x14x14 divided by 231 = 35.6 gal.

For conversion to litres do a Google search with the question "convert gallons to litres" (or liters). Google is everyone's friend :cool:

TRS
11-30-2003, 02:52 PM
42x14x14 divided by 231 = 35.6 gal.

Imperial or US Gallons?

Beverly
11-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Imperial or US Gallons?

Info is from thekrib.com, so must be in US gals.

Bob I
11-30-2003, 03:44 PM
That is US gallons, which is 134.76 liters according to my trusty calculator. :biggrin:

Scavenger
11-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Go here for all sorts of conversions.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

sumpfinfishe
11-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks Bev, Bob, and Scavenger that's a big help :exclaim:

Well I guess I will be upgrading to a 35gl custom made tank soon :mrgreen:
Now that my tank is going to be 7 years old in a few months, I decided to go alittle longer and alittle shallower. The folks at Hagen told me back in the summer that they don't recomend more than ten years for a reef setup due to silicone breakdown. So instead of going bigger, I'm just going to add a few inches either side and front to back. Just so I can use up all the available space left on my dresser with my 27gl on it at the moment
Thanks again, Rich

Beverly
11-30-2003, 10:35 PM
The folks at Hagen told me back in the summer that they don't recomend more than ten years for a reef setup due to silicone breakdown.

Now, THAT'S something I did not know :eek: I can understand how SW would easily break down silicone and almost anything else exposed to it. Thanks for bringing it up :cool:

sumpfinfishe
12-01-2003, 03:47 AM
Hey Beverly :biggrin:
Just to let you know that it's not just the saltwater that breaks down the silicon. Other factors come in to play such as; moving tanks, wear and tear from sand and abrassive rocks, and the number one cause(so I was told) is from passing cleaning magnets to the edges or over the corners of the silicone :eek:

That's kinda funny now that I work out the math, once a wekk cleaning over 7 years= 362 passes over or beside the silicone-now I can see why they rate there tanks for 10 years :rolleyes:

Here is some of the email sent to me by the folks at Hagen:
All things being equal your aquarium should last for ten to fifteen years. Or, said differently, at ten years you should begin considering replacing your tank and start looking for sales, as it is around this time that the silicon begins to tire.

Buccaneer
12-01-2003, 04:48 AM
Here is some of the email sent to me by the folks at Hagen:
All things being equal your aquarium should last for ten to fifteen years. Or, said differently, at ten years you should begin considering replacing your tank and start looking for sales, as it is around this time that the silicon begins to tire.

OR ... you could take a razor and remove the old silicone and buy a couple of $5.00 tubes and replace the old silicone :eek: :cool:

zulu_principle
12-01-2003, 04:55 AM
I think rich just wants a new tank.

:mrgreen:

Wendell

sumpfinfishe
12-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Come on Wendell, it's only a couple of inches larger in lenght and width :mrgreen:
You guessed it brother, every inch counts when your tank is fully stocked to the max :wink:
I just thought I would "kill two reefs with one copper dose" :lol:
>>>excuse the expression :razz:>>>

It's just too bad that no one out West builds with "starphire" because then I would be :smilecol:

zulu_principle
12-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Roadtrip...................

LostMind
12-01-2003, 06:30 AM
road trip to where? alberta to get starfire? :)

sumpfinfishe
12-01-2003, 06:40 AM
Do you need a pilot or co-pilot for that departure Wendell :question: :lol: