PDA

View Full Version : two part doser vs calcium reactor

Ryanst
09-20-2010, 02:43 AM
I have come to the point with my tank that I need to get either a calcium reactor or dosing pumps but I have never used either one before. I was just woundering what some of your opinions were on them, like which one worked better, more reliable, cheaper, easier to set up, ect.

mark
09-20-2010, 03:12 AM
might mean something that people are switching from reactors to dosers

scherzo
09-20-2010, 03:14 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66438

Here is the recent poll with some comments that may be helpful.

christyf5
09-20-2010, 03:25 AM
For the inital outlay I would say they're likely about the same price. Good luck finding a used doser (although I could swear I just saw one on here, ah yes, here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68134&highlight=doser) it is) but used calcium reactors can be found for good prices.

For the running of the reactor versus doser its likely that the doser will cost you more in the long run depending on what kind of demands your tank has. For me, I had incredible CO2 demands (had to fill the tank every couple months at 20 bucks a fill) and never figured out whether that was just the way the reactor was or if I had some sort of issue with it. The previous reactor I had was perfectly fine. I spent probably $50 a year on CO2 (10lb tank 1.5 fills (every 9 months or so)) and $30 a year on a box of aragonite media (it got sludgy after a year so I always replaced it instead of dumping new on top). For the doser hmm, I'd say about $150 a year or so on media (possibly more depending on where you get it from).

However, when it comes right down to it, I have no problem recommending the doser over the reactor and well, this hobby ain't cheap anyways :wink: There is no hassle of getting the co2 tank filled (remembering to do it was always a problem for me) and there's no "oh I'm out of gas" 5 days after it was actually out because you never look at the gauge so your parameters are in the toilet. For the doser, I pretty much run out of the reagents when I do my regular tank maintenance so I've worked that in, it takes no time at all to make them up (course you have to be organized enough to have it preordered so you don't run out). But for me, the best part of running a doser is that my parameters are way more stable and my corals grow like crazy. I never had growth this good when i was running a reactor. I have no idea what the deal is, perhaps its in the order things are dosed, perhaps when they're needed most or something but its pretty awesome actually having a tank of colonies instead of frags (or furthermore, having to prune back said colonies because they're getting bigger!).

Sorry for the long winded post, but I think that covers it. Go with a doser, you won't regret it. End of story :razz:

e46er
09-20-2010, 05:21 AM
i use a dual doser for ALK and Ca
works like a charm i use 1Gal water containers to store it and have a second batch made up when it gets down to about a quarter full switch it over and in a week for the extra in so it never runs out

once you figure out your tank demand it runs virtually trouble free

i didnt dose any extra alk and it was only down 0.5 KH in 6 weeks
so i up the dosage an extra second a cycle and it seems to be about even

of course the demand changes as the corals get bigger or more get added but small adjustments are easy
I never ran reactors

Ryanst
09-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Wow thanks for all the replies. I was definatly sold on the doser after reading christyf5 post that was very helpful thanks.

fishytime
09-21-2010, 12:06 AM
dosing pump for me too.....the profilux units are incredibly easy to set up and adjust... have read about some peeps dosing phyto through them as well....and the extra added bonus of not having a potentially explosive, pressurized canister in my living room:wink: