PDA

View Full Version : Black snails

Alycia
09-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey all!

I need some help... I upgraded from a 5.5G nano to a 37G about 2 months ago. When I had my 5.5 I noticed a lot of black and blonde snails that closely resemble terrestrial slugs except for a tiny, very hard, shell. They reproduce like crazy... I tried to remove as many as possible before putting my live rock from the 5.5 into the 37 (didn't think to dip the live rock though because I was being a newbie) and now they are EVERYWHERE in my tank! The majority of them are tiny, about the size of a pinhead, but nevertheless, everywhere. I have no idea what to do. I don't want them to over run my tank like flatworms might. Has anyone else seen these before?:sad:

bvlester
09-20-2010, 03:15 AM
they are good snails to have if they are breeding in your tank then you are doing some thing right they are Stomatella snails they come in many colors. They eat algae and that is about it from what I know about them. Here is some thing I cut and paisted from and site.

This saltwater snails body is half covered with a shell. When attacked it can drop its tail like a lizard. These snails are known to eat algae.

Bill

Alycia
09-20-2010, 03:29 AM
awesome! Thank you very much for the ID, it's quite a relief! I was wondering where all of my algae kept going to haha