PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Show

Ryan
09-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Watching Youtube videos all morning I was wondering why there are no Saltwater shows down here. Along with saltwater I keep alot of reptiles as well and there seems to be alot of them not only around canada but right here in Alberta.

If a person was to organize one of these but with saltwater where vendors as well as the hobbyist could get a table to display their products and live stock (fish, coral, inverts, frags etc).

I see Blue World does this but maybe us guys to the south need to do one too.

bryceschutte
09-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Ha ha. We can't even get a meet organized.

amoreira
09-20-2010, 06:36 PM
People are too busy in Calgary for anything.

kien
09-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Calgary reefers are all anti-social. :biggrin: Just Kidding! I don't know if they are ALL anti-social, I've only met a couple of them. :lol:

Ryan
09-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Wow.....

cuz
09-21-2010, 12:44 AM
maybe its you Ryan? lol!

Ryan
09-21-2010, 12:46 AM
LOL Maybe. It just surprising the reptile community is 100% opposite they are all for volunteering and organizing shows. This year for red deer the guy who usually organizes it cancelled the show due to family issues. Half a dozen people were on the ball within a week to set it back up.

Its just surprising the reefing community in calgary is so... well.... lazy.

BMW Rider
09-21-2010, 05:03 PM
With all the freakin' tank maintenance, testing, repairs, reaquascaping, crashes, pest control etc., none of us can spare that much time away from our tanks :lol:

cuz
09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Maybe it's time to step back and look at the big picture!
Is it still a fun hobby if you have no time to enjoy it??

I think hobby based functions are fun and offer a good way to check out other equiptment / setup's.

Wingin It
09-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Here I go again...lol

There's Calgary Aquarium Society meetings once a month! Not everything is geared towards either fresh or salt, but I know there are many of us that do both. There's even talk of a "workshop" type get together with guest speakers, one for SW, plants and FW. And even a bowl show! So everything is going to be organized by others, you just have to show up! That's the hardest part I guess...but I enjoy meeting everyone, talking with them, and yes, I usually come home with something new from the raffle or the mini auction ;)

Ryan
09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
With all the freakin' tank maintenance, testing, repairs, reaquascaping, crashes, pest control etc., none of us can spare that much time away from our tanks :lol:

But I can gaurentee if one was put on and involved none of your time or help you would be happy to go.

bryceschutte
09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm wondering how much work it would actually take to put on a show? All you really need is to rent a hall and get the vendors to show.