PDA

View Full Version : Stocking tank question!!

Adam Mac
09-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Ok heres what happened. I bought a firefish put him into my tank and instantly my powder brown was like a hammerhead shark around this firefish. Next thing you know hes chasing him and the firefish jumps out. So I had problems. Tore down the tank last night got my powder brown out and in my sump for now. I have another firefish coming today. Question is....with the tank being completly different from when the tang was last in there. Now i put the 2 firefish in maybe leave them for a few days let them get settled then put the powder brown back in. Is he going to act the same or will he go back to how I original got him which was a normal reef safe fish. Can anyone help me out or maybe someone had the similar thing happen to them. Any input would be awesome.

Captainhemo
09-19-2010, 12:36 AM
If the powder brown continues to go after the firefishes when you return him to the main tank, try leaning a mirror up against the tank for a while. This may remove his interest from the firefish and put it on "himself".
I've heard of this working , may be worth a try

Adam Mac
09-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Thanks I will try that.

Ryanst
09-19-2010, 03:12 AM
With the new rock work the powder brown shouldnt be as territorial. May i ask how big your tank is?

reefwars
09-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Mirrors do work but tangs are very territorial and it doesn't take long for a mirror to stress them out, provide out of sight areas what they can't see they won't attack and it gives the victim time to recover. The bonus you have is that rockwork has been changed. I used a large piece of PVC for my sailfin to hide through when I introduced him.:)

naesco
09-19-2010, 05:25 PM
What is the size of your tank. How long has your tank been set up. Is there orange markings on your tang

Madreefer
09-19-2010, 06:11 PM
If your tanks not 10' long... Quickly take your tank apart, take out the tang and return it to the store you got it from. Tell them that they should have never sold it to you, than tell them how to run their business and what you think they should and should not sell. Don't ever go back there again.:twised:

The firefish should be fine as soon as they find a spot where they can dart to and hide. With changing your rockwork it should also help with the aggressive behavior your tang is showing. Everything should be fine in a day or two.

Adam Mac
09-20-2010, 02:57 AM
Thanks all for the input. It is a 80 gallon tank so yes it isnt a 10 foot long tank but it is only 3 inches and I plan to upgrade one day within a year or whatever. I started about 7-8 months ago. Tang is acting a lot different with the completely redone tank. Only problem is my purple firefish I ordered from J and L showed up DOA. (Which they credited no problem). And when I walked in the door to start getting all my stuff into my tank I found my red firefish dried up on my floor :(!!! Jumped out go figure. SOooo the tang got it his way and the end of the day anyways. Lil buggar. What a hobby I tell yah. Lol!!

naesco
09-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks all for the input. It is a 80 gallon tank so yes it isnt a 10 foot long tank but it is only 3 inches and I plan to upgrade one day within a year or whatever. I started about 7-8 months ago. Tang is acting a lot different with the completely redone tank. Only problem is my purple firefish I ordered from J and L showed up DOA. (Which they credited no problem). And when I walked in the door to start getting all my stuff into my tank I found my red firefish dried up on my floor :(!!! Jumped out go figure. SOooo the tang got it his way and the end of the day anyways. Lil buggar. What a hobby I tell yah. Lol!!

Thanks for posting. Adam it is never a good idea to buy a fish with the idea that you will upgrade your tank as it grows. Money, jobs, a move , a house, a spouse come to play.

I would recommend that you start a garlic extract feeding regimen immediately to ward off the high possibility of ich surfacing. With the addition of new fish, moving the rocks and palcing the tank in the sump, the risk is very high.

Adam, Madreefer suggests a 10 foot tank is necessary when everyone knows a 6 footer will do but he is of course, the Madreefer.

Adam Mac
09-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Running a UV sterilizer since day one. My regal has had ich and has fought it off before and the tang is healthy and loves my landscape and swims lots and in my opinion is a very healthy specimen. So I take all your points into mind but visually I think theres nothing wrong with my situation. I havent heard of a powder brown needing quite 10 feet to swim. I mean thats just not in the deck of cards. Pretty much every tang requires 90 gal min yet you still see yellows in every system out there. I dont feel im being hurtful or cruel to my powder.....or should I???

naesco
09-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Running a UV sterilizer since day one. My regal has had ich and has fought it off before and the tang is healthy and loves my landscape and swims lots and in my opinion is a very healthy specimen. So I take all your points into mind but visually I think theres nothing wrong with my situation. I havent heard of a powder brown needing quite 10 feet to swim. I mean thats just not in the deck of cards. Pretty much every tang requires 90 gal min yet you still see yellows in every system out there. I dont feel im being hurtful or cruel to my powder.....or should I???

A 10 foot tank is nice but not necessary.
Tangs with the exception of a kole tang need large tanks, 6 footers because they are swimmers and do that all day. They need the length to be able to freely motor back and forth.
Those who have had tangs in smaller tanks and moved up or observed them swimming is larger tanks noticed the marked improvement in the fish.

gobytron
09-22-2010, 03:06 PM
A 10 foot tank is nice but not necessary.
Tangs with the exception of a kole tang need large tanks, 6 footers because they are swimmers and do that all day. They need the length to be able to freely motor back and forth.
Those who have had tangs in smaller tanks and moved up or observed them swimming is larger tanks noticed the marked improvement in the fish.

and then again, some have not.

gobytron
09-22-2010, 03:07 PM
If your tanks not 10' long... Quickly take your tank apart, take out the tang and return it to the store you got it from. Tell them that they should have never sold it to you, than tell them how to run their business and what you think they should and should not sell. Don't ever go back there again.:twised:

The firefish should be fine as soon as they find a spot where they can dart to and hide. With changing your rockwork it should also help with the aggressive behavior your tang is showing. Everything should be fine in a day or two.

HAHAHAHA....lol

too funny.

In this hobby, you get all kinds.