PDA

View Full Version : RODI...changing the carbon, etc

newreefer_59
09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I have always been taught.

I have had my Captive Puriity RODI running since March of 2009 - so like a year and a half.

Range it shows is still well within the green 'safe' range and is 0 TDS consistently (occasionally gives me a 1 or 2 ppm)

I was told to replace the sediment and Carbon abiut a year ago now, the DI should have been replaced by now. I know it is WAY overdue, but all the values tell me it is still working fine.

Should I replace these 3 elements NOW anyway, or wait until I start getting TDS?

Thanks.

George
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
You probably should to avoid pre-mature dead of more expensive membrane.

mark
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll change my filters by date and what I do notice, the prefilters look totally full of crud. Might not effect the TDS but probably doesn't help the flow (restriction/pressure drop to the membrane).

christyf5
09-17-2010, 10:16 PM
I would change the carbon at the very least, it takes the chlorine/chloramine out of the water which can damage the RO membrane. I usually change out my filters every 6-8 months or so and they can be pretty cruddy.

Milad
09-17-2010, 10:17 PM
i changed mine
right when i changed all the carbon and the sediment filter the flow increased by 400%. I fill 23gallons in 1 hour where before it was taking several. plus they are cheap, i bought a big box for like 80 bucks.

intarsiabox
09-18-2010, 03:57 AM
i changed mine
right when i changed all the carbon and the sediment filter the flow increased by 400%. I fill 23gallons in 1 hour where before it was taking several. plus they are cheap, i bought a big box for like 80 bucks.
What RO/DI unit are you using? 550 GPD is a lot of water production, it takes me about 10 hours to get 23g with my unit. Does yours have a pump on it?

o.c.d.
09-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Exactly what christyf5 was saying if chlorine makes it's was through your expensive membrane will be shot. sediment and carbon 4 to six months depending on the production of water for me DI 6 months

fkshiu
09-18-2010, 06:45 AM
What RO/DI unit are you using? 550 GPD is a lot of water production, it takes me about 10 hours to get 23g with my unit. Does yours have a pump on it?

I'm guessing he means "2 to 3 gallons in one hour". 23 gallons in one hour is called a running tap - no household RO/DI unit will do that volume.

And in respect of the OP, many modern cars can actually run for years without a single oil change. But take apart the engine of such a car and you'll see some significant damage. The same goes for your pre-filters. It's called "maintenance" for a reason - you need to do it to maintain your RO/DI unit. Don't be lazy or cheap.