PDA

View Full Version : 1st RO/DI

Murminator
09-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Ok I recently bought an Aquasafe RO/DI it is a 100GPD with the accumulator tank. After having many problems hooking up ...leaks everywhere...got it running last night. Today is the 1st day using it and I am pretty sure I can pee more and faster than what this thing produces. It tanks 25min to fill a 1 gallon bucket. I'm pretty something is not right I printed all the schematics and went over 10x and it is all hooked up right. Could something be plugged? What does everyone else's produce?

NanoHuman
09-17-2010, 06:16 PM
The production per day is generally at 100PSI, where your pipes provide a tiny fraction of that. Unless your system has a pump to generate that pressure, you won't come close to being able to meet the rating.

Rogue951
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Does that unit come with a PSI gauge?
I live in vancouver and the water pressure in a house is around 60PSI.
my unit is rated for 50 GPD and I can fill a 6 gallon container in around 3 hours so the rating is almost spot on.

Captainhemo
09-17-2010, 06:56 PM
At 40 pse, my 90 gpd spectrapure takes about 20-25 minutes to produce a gallon. Warming the source water a bit will hep a bit

hillegom
09-17-2010, 07:56 PM
You have to remember, 100 gal per day is about equal to 4 gals per hour. or 1 gal per 15 min. So you are very close to what you should have.
As said, warming the incomming water and increasing city water pressure will help to bring up your volume of RO\DI. So will a permeate pump.
How big is your accumulater ?

Milad
09-17-2010, 10:54 PM
heating the water doesnt mean using hot water. I believe hot water kills the membrane

whats your TDS out of the tap? Whats the pressure before the RO/DI unit and whats the pressure before the membrane?

if you dont have pressure thing, you can get a pressure meter from homoe depot and throw a T on it wherever you need to measure at. Should be at 80psi from tap, around 60 before membrane.

TDS is high, you have good water going into the drain and bad water coming out of the hose. So you have the waste and good water backwards
If pressure at tap is low then you need to increase it
If pressure right before the membrane is low then your carbon and sediment filters are old

Joe Reefer
09-17-2010, 11:02 PM
That sounds a little slow to me, it could be due to in-coming water temp./pressure etc. Adding a booster pump will increase production dramatically. Either way good to hear you are going to use RO water.

Murminator
09-18-2010, 04:12 AM
I guess with the accumulator tank I figured when I turned on the tap I would have 2 gallons on hand. I used a line saddle and pierced the 1/4 line between the shutoff and the tap. I'm thinking of changing out the line and t'ing it off so I have better flow. I also think i'm going to have to put in a holding tank on a float valve.....just where to put it

mark
09-18-2010, 04:59 AM
Have the 100gpd Aquasafe fills a 20g container overnight (8-10 hrs).

You'll find quite the roll off in rate with anything less than the membranes spec'd temp and pressure. Here's a calculator
(http://buckeyefieldsupply.com/calc.asp)

e46er
09-18-2010, 07:17 PM
i have the same unit and my water pressure is pitiful............it takes about 15 hrs to get 20G

fencer
09-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Yes get a booster pump. Not only will it increase your rate, Your rate will go up from 1:8 to 1:4. Most houses in Edmonton do no posess the proper pressures to run a RO/DI unit.

StirCrazy
09-18-2010, 08:21 PM
like has been mentiond temp and water PSI are huge factors. temp should be ok right now, but most membrains are rated at 60PSI a 100GPD filter rated at 60 PSI will deverly drop the output at 40PSI, and at aprox 35PSI won't work.

also there are some unscrouplous membrain rebranders out there that are taking the 90PSI rating and marketing them as that. so a 100gpd membrain is realy only a 65 GPD membrain at the standard rating of 60PSI. lots of things could be causing the problems.. the first thing is to get a pressure gage to tell you what you what you PSI at the tap is. don't waist money on a booster pump if tyou don't need it. so make sure that is the problem befor you buy it. then you have to get a booster pump that will supply the rated output at 100 PSI so a 100 gpd needs a supply of 500gal per day at 100 PSI which is 20GPH at 100 psi, or 0.35 gal per min at 100 PSI other wise you won't get full pressure which will drop your output.

My boost pump is a 3/4HP pump with a regualtor which is adjustible as I was running 320 GPD membrain (two 160's) and I only had 40 PSI water PSI int he old house which would give me about 10 gal per day...

Steve