PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

danp
09-16-2010, 08:22 PM
new to the site, and wanted to say hi to everyone. Had a couple of tanks a few years back but had to give them up when I moved. Am looking now to get back into a saltwater system. I ran a 40 gal system a few years ago with some terrible advice from a local store. Am looking for as much info as I can before I get started again. Just reading through the site I realize just how much I have to learn (such as some terms I don't recognize like the types of bracing on tanks; and tank terms like frag tanks). I look forward to learning from everyone and getting a new tank off the ground.

Llamarama
09-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Welcome to Canreef!! everyone is very friendly and helpful here :) lots of informational threads as well

reefwars
09-16-2010, 08:36 PM
I find this theeeee best sie for advice, fast respnses from some of the best reefers in Canada:)

welcome to canreef glad to see your getting back in er lol:):)

Lance
09-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome. Ask lots of questions. We're here to help. :biggrin:

Delphinus
09-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Welcome. :cool:

dsaundry
09-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Welcome, the more the merrier...:mrgreen::lol:

danp
09-17-2010, 08:06 AM
thanks for the warm welcome, as for questions I will have lots... so much so you may get sick of me. I will be attempting to relearn everything that I thought I knew. As I said before I had really really bad advice from one of the local aquarium stores locally.

For starters I have been reading through some of the threads and I can't seem to wrap my head around all of the tank related slang there is.... Is there some glossary of tank slang that I can get to have the translations to half of what I am reading?

ScubaSteve
09-17-2010, 08:16 AM
For starters I have been reading through some of the threads and I can't seem to wrap my head around all of the tank related slang there is.... Is there some glossary of tank slang that I can get to have the translations to half of what I am reading?

Hahaha. So true! We really should create a slang glossary. I know when I was starting some of the slang totally threw me off. I had someone start going off about his DT... WTF is a DT? (Display tank)

Trying to have us come up with all the slang and translate, ask what means what. We'll reply and help you, and in the process I can start compiling the replies to make a glossary.

Also, don't worry about asking too many questions or think you're asking stupid questions. There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. We're all here to help each other learn.

Welcome to Reefer 101.

ElGuappo
09-17-2010, 08:26 AM
welcome aboard... dont worry about having lots of questions i think i had something like 100 posts in my first monthe( i was completely in the dark bought a tank and found this sight).. this is a good board and almost always you will get a helpfull reply to most any marine related question.