PDA

View Full Version : new and need help

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 01:26 AM
hi everyone I've
started a new tank and i would like to have some advice on what i should do

mark
09-16-2010, 01:29 AM
hope you spent some time reading up on the hobby before you added water.

Many posts on many topics on Canreef already, but something specific you're wondering about?

lockrookie
09-16-2010, 01:29 AM
give everyone your tank size and hopes htat you wish to stock in the tank as well as specifically what you wouldlike helpwith and we or somebody will give you thier thoughts and help as best as we can

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 01:35 AM
i have a 33 gallon tank and I've had it for a few weeks and i have 20 pounds of live rock in it with and a small clownfish

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 01:37 AM
and i need help on what kind fish i should put in

jorjef
09-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Lets see....hummm If you all ready filled up with water, talk two pounds of live rock and a small shrimp (dead store bought) lie down for a 3-4 week take a nap and check back when you get up....You will get my small attempt of humour within the next 5 posts

Wayne
09-16-2010, 01:45 AM
and i need help on what kind fish i should put in

Do you plan on a reef aquarium in the future? Or are you only going to have a fish only?

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 01:46 AM
well i already did that im just wanted to know what kinds of fish i should put in

Wayne
09-16-2010, 01:51 AM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

Here is a link to a decent fish selection that you can find at many of the local fish stores. Have a look at different types of fish and shapes that are appealing to you; to help us narrow down the hundreds of different species that are avaliable for sale.

reefwars
09-16-2010, 02:07 AM
welcome buddy:) before adding anymore fish let your tank stabilize its too close to a cycles end too add anymore bio load, your system has to even itsself out and will take a few more weeks again.maybe consider getting some cleaners like snails crabs or shrimp possibly some beginners corals like mushrooms:):) its very important to let your system work its magic without us interfering for the first few months,monitor your water keep an eye on your livestock you have and be patient it will cost you wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less in the long run:):)

welcome to canreef:):)

naesco
09-16-2010, 02:34 AM
I am with reefwars.
Resist the urge to go out and buy a fish now.
You have a small tank so add only one fish at a time one month apart.
In the meantime study the fish you might like a give us a list and I am sure you will get lots of advice from reefers who have experience with the fish you are looking at.

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 02:49 AM
welcome buddy:) before adding anymore fish let your tank stabilize its too close to a cycles end too add anymore bio load, your system has to even itsself out and will take a few more weeks again.maybe consider getting some cleaners like snails crabs or shrimp possibly some beginners corals like mushrooms:):) its very important to let your system work its magic without us interfering for the first few months,monitor your water keep an eye on your livestock you have and be patient it will cost you wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less in the long run:):)

welcome to canreef:):) thanks do you know any one who sell coral cheap?

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 02:50 AM
yea i only have a small clown fish and i got him around a week ago

paddyob
09-16-2010, 02:54 AM
yea i only have a small clown fish and i got him around a week ago

If your tank is only a couple weeks old... you should not be adding any fish.

Give it some time to cycle and ensure you have no toxic spikes and potentially kill things.

A 33 is a decent first tank... but does have limits on livestock.

Coral.... you can fill that thing up pretty fast but ensure to leave space for growth.

Canreef is a great place to find corals. Cheap. Tank hardy for the most part.

ALWAYS research anything you want in your tank BEFORE you add it.

Have fun. Be patient and it will pay off!

reefwars
09-16-2010, 04:00 AM
a few days ago i coulda gave you lots of coral for a good price but the coral i do have left now are for more experienced or for very large tanks:) go to blueworld and tell ken you are interested in some beginners corals nothing huge just some frags to keep your excitement at bay lol :)

bignose
09-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Hi Andrew and welcome to the hobby.

You should probably hold off on anymore livestock and let your tank cycle completely. Cycling a tank can take some time(In my opinion the hardest part of all) wait until your water parameters are stable. I would suggest going to a local fish store and buy yourself these test kits: Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate to start with. Start with ammonia to see if the cycle has started when ammonia start to drop test for nitrites when nitrites start dropping test for nitrates when nitrates are 0 then your good to go.

In this hobby you have to take your time in the beginning and read read read.....

I would suggest researching about nano tanks so you can get an idea of you can and can't have in your tank.

Can you give everyone some details about your system (lighting, skimmer, water flow, using tap water or RO/DI).

patience patience ..........

Milad
09-16-2010, 05:04 AM
buy this:
http://bubblemagusskimmers.com/catalog/bubble-magus-protein-skimmer-bm320cs-p-950.html

add bunch of fish

when you kill all your fish and get a bunch of algae because you are adding to many fish at once and not reading up, give me a call and ill buy the bubble magus skimmer off you for cheap :)

Wayne
09-16-2010, 06:16 PM
buy this:
http://bubblemagusskimmers.com/catalog/bubble-magus-protein-skimmer-bm320cs-p-950.html

add bunch of fish

when you kill all your fish and get a bunch of algae because you are adding to many fish at once and not reading up, give me a call and ill buy the bubble magus skimmer off you for cheap :)

Owch thats a little rough....

Milad
09-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Owch thats a little rough....

ya but i need a bubble magus skimmer for cheap!

reefwars
09-16-2010, 07:24 PM
buy this:

add bunch of fish

I guess it's true there are no dumb questions just dumb answers....I'm pretty sure he asked for help, comments like this is fun when we've all been chatting but when someone joins our site new and asks a question we should answer with respect.it's what makes this site so helpful and great. Not knocking on you milad I k ow your just joshing:):)

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 07:29 PM
yea i agree with reef wars and i saw your tank reef war i saw you tank it looks great

Milad
09-16-2010, 07:31 PM
yes im just joshing but back to this bubble magus skimmer... someone has to be selling one for cheap!!

reefwars
09-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I am actually....tell ya wha ;) send me oh say..$500 and I will ship mine to you free of charge, delivery to your door usually with in 5-10 yrs . If interested just send me cash and if you don't hear from me in a year don't worry you won't be out a skimmer just some ol pocket cash :):) lol :):)

reefwars
09-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Andrew= Shannon perhaps???

reefwars
09-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks buddy remember sometimes it's not the work you put into it just the time it takes to establish:) after a few years you'll have tanks I guarantee it, if you take it slow remeber your going to have this fir years, so don't rush and ask lots of questions there are no wrong questions and were all here to help it's why were here:):)

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Andrew= Shannon perhaps???
no im not shannon

reefwars
09-17-2010, 12:30 AM
no your shannons youngfellow lol see guys be nice it could be a kid asking the questions:) any questions buddy feel free to ask:)

andrewantle1
09-17-2010, 01:22 AM
no your shannons youngfellow lol see guys be nice it could be a kid asking the questions:) any questions buddy feel free to ask:)
yea i am:lol:

ALang
09-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the site and to the hobby.
Believe us when we counsel patience, and use those test kits **religiously**! Start a tank journal and then we can actually comment or help with your questions. Right now, it is pretty early yet, that's why you get all these jokers cracking hahas. Everyone is nice and will be more than happy to help, but you need to put in lots of time to read up all you can before the next step.
Read all you can from canreef, you probably can glean lots of answers from someone else's problems, as they are pretty universal across board.
Hang tight!:biggrin:

andrewantle1
09-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Welcome to the site and to the hobby.
Believe us when we counsel patience, and use those test kits **religiously**! Start a tank journal and then we can actually comment or help with your questions. Right now, it is pretty early yet, that's why you get all these jokers cracking hahas. Everyone is nice and will be more than happy to help, but you need to put in lots of time to read up all you can before the next step.
Read all you can from canreef, you probably can glean lots of answers from someone else's problems, as they are pretty universal across board.
Hang tight!:biggrin: