PDA

View Full Version : Apex and Apex lite differences?

banditpowdercoat
09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
OK, I am fed up with having issues with the tank when I am out of town, and the Mrs, she's fed up with getting stressed out and having to try figure out whats happening. I've been thinking of the Apex, because I could monitor via the net. I see JL has a lite and regular Apex package. I can't see any difference in the 2 packages other than $110 in price. What is the lite missing????

trilinearmipmap
09-15-2010, 02:06 PM
One difference is the Apex has controls for variable speed powerheads and the Apex Lite doesn't. You would need to upgrade the Apex Lite if you want to control variable speed power heads.

mark
09-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Looking on JL site for the Apex Lite there's a bullet

Built-in variable speed pump control

So to get all the features that they list for the Lite you need upgrades?

NanoHuman
09-15-2010, 03:43 PM
With the Apex you get the variable speed controls and an extra probe connector that you can use for pH or ORP.

With the Lite you do not get those two things, you get 1 probe connector and then a bunch of the other standard ports, serial port I/O port etc.

Essentially the APEX comes with a Probe Module built in. an ORP probe module would come with the BNC connector and controls for variable speed ports.

I own the APEX and I would recommend just getting the full model.

Apex is on sale right now at Oceanic Corals for 499, so get J&L to match that price.

http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=356

Milad
09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Apex full version all the way
especially if you have a vortech or tunze's
you wont need multicontrolelr for the tunzes

i even bought an extra eb8

and their support is good, ive called them a few times and they are about to replace my LCD screen (backlight failed on it)

ponokareefer
03-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but is the only difference an extra probe and speed control for powerheads? I already have controllers for my powerheads and not looking for a lot of probes, so didn't see the point of spending more than I had to.

The Grizz
03-18-2011, 04:43 AM
If you just want pH & temp probes and not going to use it for anything else you could just go with the lite plus. The biggest difference I found in the RKE & RKL was the head unit. But if you get luck like I did and find a Profilux controller gently use go with it. They are all self contained and upgradeable , no extra modules & less parts & pieces.

ponokareefer
03-18-2011, 04:52 AM
I liked the Apex the most because if something goes wrong, you are sent an e-mail, and then can turn off items. That is the main reason I am looking at a controller. I have powerhead controllers and a tunze ato, so don't need it for that.

The Grizz
03-18-2011, 05:01 AM
I would say then you want the RKL basic or plus and add the net module.

ponokareefer
03-18-2011, 05:22 AM
I would say then you want the RKL basic or plus and add the net module.

From my research, the RKL net module is not wireless, so that won't work for me where the tank is.

cale262
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
From my research, the RKL net module is not wireless, so that won't work for me where the tank is.

I have all three APEX, RKL+ and RKE...

They can all send e-mail, none are wireless as they all need to be pluged into a wireles device in your home network...

All three can be programmed to send you an e-mail in the case of an alarm or condition.

ponokareefer
03-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I have all three APEX, RKL+ and RKE...

They can all send e-mail, none are wireless as they all need to be pluged into a wireles device in your home network...

All three can be programmed to send you an e-mail in the case of an alarm or condition.

Thanks for the info. I guess a controller isn't going to work then.

cale262
03-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess a controller isn't going to work then.

They aren't wireless but can be made so with a wireless bridge, but you need a home network to make it so....

ponokareefer
03-18-2011, 02:31 PM
They aren't wireless but can be made so with a wireless bridge, but you need a home network to make it so....

This does have a network where it will be connected(office). I guess I'll have to research a wireless bridge now.

cale262
03-18-2011, 04:14 PM
This does have a network where it will be connected(office). I guess I'll have to research a wireless bridge now.

...or you can direct connect these into any switch or router attached to the netwoork, set the IP address and you're good to go...

The Grizz
03-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Did you see this one FS

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73639

ponokareefer
03-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Did you see this one FS

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73639

I did, but with shipping, it's not much difference than the Apex lite's right now. I think it is a really good price, but just has a lot of stuff I'm not going to use. Thanks for the heads up on one though.