PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Reviving

reefcat
09-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Can you bring live rock back to life? I have foud a great deal on live rock locally but its all dead and the seller told me it could come back to life, if so how does the process work.

intarsiabox
09-15-2010, 03:39 AM
If it's been out of the water for awhile the only thing you can do is buy a piece of live rock and place it in the tank with the dead rock. It will eventually seed all the rock and will once again be live.

Seafan
09-15-2010, 03:54 AM
Putting chaeto (macro algae) in also helps to regenerate all the lost little pods and such.

Wayne
09-15-2010, 04:04 AM
If it's been out of the water for awhile the only thing you can do is buy a piece of live rock and place it in the tank with the dead rock. It will eventually seed all the rock and will once again be live.

+1 Some live rock and live sand will seed the older rock. I will take some time and its not a bad idea to put it in a rubbermaid container with water and a powerhead.

bvlester
09-15-2010, 04:37 AM
Well you have to seed the dead rock and cycle it as the organic material that was on the rock, from before it was taken out of the tank will all be dead and decaying and that means you have to cycle it. It could take 3 months to completely cycle dead live rock there have been many discussions on saltwater forums over the past while about this very topic. It can be done but it takes time it will become alive quite fast but the problem lies in the dead organic matter from it's former life. It can pollute your tank and make a huge mess if there was allot of algae on the rock before. It can take months for phosphate to leach out of the rock and you do not want it in your tank very hard to get rid of. I have been buying LR from people getting out of the hobby or down sizing so newbies can get rock at a reasonable price here in the loops instead of the outrageous prices at the LFS I just had a kid inform me they want 13.00+/ pound for Fiji rock at a local store. I can sell you some for less than half that. I charge basically what I pay plus gas it take to go get it.

Bill

reefcat
09-15-2010, 04:38 AM
thanks for the info guys, and also do you i ahve to re-cure it like scrub it and such

bvlester
09-15-2010, 06:20 AM
scrubbing will help the curring process.

Bill