PDA

View Full Version : TAKE A LOOK!!! Aquascape!

Strickland_673
09-15-2010, 01:31 AM
So this is my dry run of my aquascape, i marked out with painters tape the size of my 25g tank and went from there, let me know what you think. I have one more peice of rock to go in, the seeding peice.

Any suggestions or input would be great!!

Sorry pic is a little fuzzy, had to shrink it quite a bit!!!

lastlight
09-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Now keep in mind my opinion is worth less than the usual 0.02.

I think it looks pretty unnatural with the 3 'legs' and then the 2 shelves. I'd try and break the structure up and mix up elevations/proportions?

Lance
09-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah, sorry but I agree with Brett. It looks too structured; it needs some randomness to it.

o.c.d.
09-15-2010, 02:05 AM
unnatural especially the center piece round shape with flat balanced on top not working.

lastlight
09-15-2010, 02:09 AM
Oh uhhh...no I loved it. Sheesh you guys are harsh that was my kid typing before and...

o.c.d.
09-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Harsh ha ha, input suggestion that's all. If you feel bad now strickland, well it's been almost 11years and I'm still moven rock around. Just make sure the base is sturdy.

Delphinus
09-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Aquascaping in a small tank like 25g can be a challenge particularly with larger pieces. I actually think it's a pretty good start. What it could benefit from, as stated, is some randomness - more specifically, from depth. We have a structure here that is parallel to the front glass, I would take one of the pillars and move it forward and the other two back and see where that takes you. :)

Chowder
09-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Every time I look at it , it seems to be flipping me the bird? :lol:

SAMSHUNG
09-15-2010, 02:29 AM
Hmm... not sure I like it either. Doesn't seem to look natural. I think people place too much emphasis on aquascaping. I just threw my rocks in and let them fall were they did. Okay that's not entirely true but it looks mega natural.

lastlight
09-15-2010, 02:32 AM
Yeah the funny thing is all the nice shape and character the reef takes on is a product of the actual reef corals themselves it seems to me. The natural look could in fact be a pile...leave them where they lay and grow some mad colonies.

I always wanted shelf rock for my big tank but the shelves themselves were obviously dead pieces of plating corals. About as unatural as you can get. The shelves ideally would be your plating corals etc. In the really killer, mature tanks you can't even see the rock anymore.

Wingin It
09-15-2010, 02:34 AM
You've got some really nice pieces there...Maybe try clumping it all together, bigger pieces on the bottom and then bridge them with the flat rocks and add the smaller ones either on top or on sides or in between. Take yourself pics of each configuration and decide what you like the best. If this is what you like (what you've got pictured) then go with it. Once you fill it with fish and corals, who knows...you may have a master piece ;)

Milad
09-15-2010, 04:28 AM
why do i feel like im getting the bird when i look at that pic?

Strickland_673
09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
it has changed a little bit. i will post more pics when i get home.
it still has 2 caves and what not. it doesn't look natural but i like the caves.

PS. the "flipping bird" rock is gone

rjengen
09-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I think you should keep the "Flipping the bird" rock...it's gives your tank some attitude. I could see myself indulging in the taste testing of hopps, to the point where I might think the rock was trying to pick a fight with me. Could turn out to be very entertaining for the folks of Canreef if you had a video camera, and put yourself in the situation :redface:

Like someone said earlier, I believe aquascaping is always a work in progress...you get your foundation pieces where you want them, and then you're always building off them, or moving pieces around trying new things. You can always find faults with rock work, but in the end, it's what makes you happy when you look into the tank.

Strickland_673
09-15-2010, 06:37 PM
changed it a little. any better?

Milad
09-15-2010, 06:43 PM
those three "legs" are too "level"
change it up
if they are the same height it wont look random.

lastlight
09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
The more I think about it the less I think it really matters. So long as you allow room for corals (not built to high or too close to glass) and it's stable. The corals will hopefully transform that into something totally natural anyways. I think it'll work but for sure I would personally remove that love rock sticking straight up it doesn't quite look right.

4lti7ude
09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Just play puzzle with them.
Try and get the rocks to naturally fit together by just placing them against each other.
The natural dropped in look is really good at starting the process.

lastlight
09-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Just don't actually drop them. Did that with a frontosa tank once and blew the bottom out.

Side note...if siphoning is too slow for you this is a really fast and easy way to drain a tank.

Myka
09-15-2010, 07:34 PM
To create a more natural look (if that's what you want - most of us do), try to use rocks of similar shape and texture. I have found it very difficult to incorporate flat rocks and make it look natural. I also love to make islands. You could try having just one cave, then have an island off to the side. If not, you can always build your current structure again. Imo, the aquascape is really one of the most important aspects of making the reef. A good aquascape can really make a tank look great, and a poor aquascape can really be distracting from an otherwise nice reef. I don't think I will ever be satisfied with my aquascape, and it is not often that I see aquascapes I am quite impressed with. Call me picky! :p

rjengen
09-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Just don't actually drop them. Did that with a frontosa tank once and blew the bottom out.

Side note...if siphoning is too slow for you this is a really fast and easy way to drain a tank.

and how much did that cost in mop up? hahahaha

spawn
09-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Is that the underwater McDonalds ? Throw the one that's in the middle bottom into the rose garden with some chea pet seeds in it, when it grows out paint it purple and you'll have a sweet lookin grimace.

Strickland_673
09-16-2010, 12:19 AM
:cry: spawn you're gonna make me cry!!! hahaha

lockrookie
09-16-2010, 12:56 AM
i repeat who cares what we think if you like it and the fish like it then go for it cause we all know that in a months time youll change your mind get new ideas rockscape is never forever

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 01:06 AM
hi im new to this website can i ask how do you start a thread

lockrookie
09-16-2010, 01:17 AM
hi im new to this website can i ask how do you start a thread

go to forums pick the forumyou want to start a thread in .. near the top it says start a thread and welcome to canreef

andrewantle1
09-16-2010, 01:21 AM
thank you

Wayne
09-16-2010, 01:55 AM
The more I think about it the less I think it really matters. So long as you allow room for corals (not built to high or too close to glass) and it's stable. The corals will hopefully transform that into something totally natural anyways. I think it'll work but for sure I would personally remove that love rock sticking straight up it doesn't quite look right.

+1 For getting rid of the "Love Rock" Other than that I kinda like it :lol:

kien
09-16-2010, 06:17 AM
It isn't "aquascape" until it hits the water! :lol:

Dry fitting it like that is a good start and can give you a general idea of where you want to take it. Once those pieces hit the water though, a whole different ball game! :)

Great start though!