PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Ok for Betta ?

Captainhemo
09-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Hey All
I'm setting up a samll tank that will be home to a betta for my neice. Will RO/DI water be ok ? There will be no plants or anything other than the plastic stuff she wants to put in there
Thanks

banditpowdercoat
09-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Will be perfect, Our Betta has lived over a year in a 10g with RO/DI.

Bloodasp
09-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't see any problems using it though I'd probably let the water age a bit before using it.

Wingin It
09-15-2010, 01:15 AM
IMO, no need to even let it age. I've bred Bettas on freshly declorinated tap water...they're not fancy fish. If you want to make him feel really good, then add some Almond Leaf Extract or an Almond Leaf...they seem to like it.

Captainhemo
09-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Thanks guys. Will try the almond extract/leaf and see what he thinks.
We set the tank up today.
It's funny, she's (my neice) had the tank at my place as a nono reef for 5 years, now she decides she wants a betta and some plastic plants etc. Tore it all down, moved everything over to my tank/sump and then moved the tank etc over to her mom's place. We've got it all set up in her bedroom and she is pretty excited which is the whole point.;
Betta goes in tomorrow
I'm sure we'll be posting a pic or two .. Thanks again

Myka
09-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Personally, I would use dechlorinated tap water. RO/DI is quite harsh, and is ok in our saltwater tanks because we add a salt mix which essentially has a whole lots of minerals and elements in it which make it much more fish friendly. For freshwater, Kent makes a couple of great products called RO Right and pH Stable which work hand in hand to provide the minerals to make RO/DI freshwater fish friendly. Bettas do enjoy Blackwater Extract in their water, but you may not like the look of it.

Captainhemo
09-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Personally, I would use dechlorinated tap water. RO/DI is quite harsh, and is ok in our saltwater tanks because we add a salt mix which essentially has a whole lots of minerals and elements in it which make it much more fish friendly. For freshwater, Kent makes a couple of great products called RO Right and pH Stable which work hand in hand to provide the minerals to make RO/DI freshwater fish friendly. Bettas do enjoy Blackwater Extract in their water, but you may not like the look of it.

That is exactly what I was concerned about. Anyhow, too late now, he's in and so far seems happy enogh. .
As they do water changes, I'll suggest they start using either RO Right or Equalibrium

Wingin It
09-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Just curious, but why not use tap water?

Myka
09-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Just curious, but why not use tap water?

Ya, I don't get it, why not tap water? Most freshwater fish do best in most tap waters. I don't see why it needs to be so complicated. Products like RO Right and Equilibrium are usually used in finicky setups such as Discus.

pelle31
09-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Discus can be kept in tap water as well. You only need RO for breeding. I bred them for 10+ years,they are not as finicky as everyone thinks. The Betta would do just as well in tap.

Myka
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Discus can be kept in tap water as well. You only need RO for breeding. I bred them for 10+ years,they are not as finicky as everyone thinks. The Betta would do just as well in tap.

Ya, I have a friend that breeds them, and only the breeding adults are in RO.

paddyob
09-17-2010, 03:23 PM
IMO, no need to even let it age. I've bred Bettas on freshly declorinated tap water...they're not fancy fish. If you want to make him feel really good, then add some Almond Leaf Extract or an Almond Leaf...they seem to like it.

Beta typically live in dirtier water. Labyrinth fish haave two sets of lungs that allow them to breath our air when needed. Thats the reason they gulp at the surface and that some people feel its ok to let it live in a tea cup.

Some people add "black water" additive for betas as well.

So... sure RO is probably ok... but overkill for a beta. Save your money.

Wingin It
09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Beta typically live in dirtier water. Labyrinth fish haave two sets of lungs that allow them to breath our air when needed. .

When I lived in Thailand I used to see Bettas living in their ponds, they really don't move around that much 'cause movement alerts predators like the nasty turtles that love to eat them. Being in a smaller tank/bowl just isn't ideal. I even keep several Bettas (1 male : 8 females) in a 6 ft assorted tank...they really just sit on plants near the surface and chill. ;)

reef-keeper
09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Why not use a 50/50 mix if you have some concerns?

Captainhemo
09-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Well, had the RO/DI here so figured if it was ok to use it...
Was hoping it would eleiminate any unwanted alge etc into the tank. I always here of so many fw folks having algae issues and alot of them seem to use tap water.
The point being, now that the tank insn't here in my place anymore, the cleaner it can stay the better as I don't see my sister doing a lot to take care of it

Myka
09-19-2010, 06:14 AM
You could always add a couple snails to eat the algae.

Captainhemo
09-20-2010, 03:53 AM
Think we';ll just run with the RODI water for now and see how it goes.
Guy at teh LFS says that is what keep their FW fish in so that is what he has been in all along

Myka
09-20-2010, 06:26 AM
It will take a while to kill him anyway. :neutral:

At the very least, you could do him a favor and use Aragonite sand if you're going to stick with the RO/DI so there is at least some amount of pH buffering capacity.

Fyi, in most cases you can use the waste line of the RO/DI unit for most freshwater fish.