PDA

View Full Version : looking for tips

danp
09-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I have been thinking about making my own tank from scratch and was wondering I could get some tips in terms of materials such as: type of glass, glass thickness, and type of silicone that would be best to use.

Lego
09-15-2010, 03:47 AM
You might want to supply a little bit more info on size and setup of tank your looking to get into. People might be more willing to help with advice. IMO

lockrookie
09-15-2010, 04:04 AM
thickness of glss depends on sizeof tank as well as euro bracing fro suport or other. then you have to decide where you want your overflow corner back center inside the tank or external overflow

silicone i have used aquarium safe stuff from home hardware 10 bucks for 3 pack. some ppl use black sylicone. basically tell us your dream and some will advise the rest you have to decide on your own... it is your tank

danp
09-15-2010, 08:02 AM
thanks for responding, I will have to figure out the size of the tank and figure out how many gallons it will be. I am looking to build a corner tank. I haven't settled on the size yet. I was looking for it to cascade at the back into a smaller filter tank in the stand. I will post again when I have figured out the size.

Thanks again

lastlight
09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Kien's old Lagoon build will be a nice resource for you.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59016

He took some sweet pics of the process too. I think it was his first DIY tank and it turned out great.