PDA

View Full Version : Under cabinet light to turn on when door is opened

trilinearmipmap
09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd like a light for under my cabinet to turn on when I open the doors so I can see the sump and equipment. I don't want to waste an outlet on my controller to do this.

I found these on the Ikea website:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70021457

They don't look ideal as they have a low-wattage non-standard bulb.

If anyone has found something that works well please point me to a web link or location of a store in Vancouver that stocks a light like this.

Murminator
09-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I have similar ones in my camper, I think I got at Home depot or canadian tire, they work awesome

lockrookie
09-14-2010, 05:19 PM
what you need is:
12v power supply
12v lights led or other
1 alarm system magnetic contact
12v capable wire.

door opens there is light

Murminator
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
what you need is:
12v power supply
12v lights led or other
1 alarm system magnetic contact
12v capable wire.

door opens there is light

I'll spend the $6 :wink:

lockrookie
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I'll spend the $6 :wink:

just another option if they want it brighter you can tie into any 12v power supply you already use within the tank system. money saved. you can get led under cabinet pucks or strips from canadian tire relatively cheap.. and the magnetic contact at the source or if you have an alarm in your home contact your provider sometimes they will just hand you one for free. just say you are replacing a door and would like a new contact..

i used to install alarms and have a few laying around thats what made me think of it.

fkshiu
09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
So what if the bulb is non-standard? As long as Ikea's around, the bulbs should be available. And you don't need all that much light to see around inside a cabinet unless it's really big.

Another option is to put a refugium into your sump so you'd have to install a light down there in any event.

ElGuappo
09-14-2010, 07:25 PM
So what if the bulb is non-standard? As long as Ikea's around, the bulbs should be available. And you don't need all that much light to see around inside a cabinet unless it's really big.

Another option is to put a refugium into your sump so you'd have to still a light down there in any event.

yup i just turn on the ol refuge light and im good.

ongquang21
09-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Get the system from an old fridge, it is free everywhere.

StirCrazy
09-15-2010, 02:47 AM
that Ikea link is a bad idea, you need a outdoor rated light for a in cabnet mounting due to the humidity and salt creep. LEDs would be the perfect set up, and like what was already sugested the magneting contact would be a perfect no moving parts switch.

personaly I would just go to canuck rubber and buy some of thes DOT Led pucks (usaly 10 bucks for two) and mount them in the stand on the roof. take the two seconds to push them on when you open the door.

Steve