PDA

View Full Version : What happens when the lights go out.

Ross
09-13-2010, 06:37 PM
The other day, I tossed a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe in with nori tied to it.
My orange diamond goby proceded to bury this tube for a few minutes until the tube was no longer visable under the large pile of sand.
When I approached the tank, just before the lights go out fully, the goby took off like a rocket into the rather sizable hill of sand that he had just constructed. He managed hit dead center on a 3/4" pipe and stayed there for the night. Completly burried in this tube.

My clowns always dart to the same corner to sleep the moment the last light turns off.
My chromis always finds its way to the center of the birdsnest colony.
My Bi color chromis always swims back and forth out of its cave facing the same direction many times before finially packing it in for the night.

So this got me thinking what other bed time routines do out fish have?

reefwars
09-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Y filefish hides like a leaf when the light go out , I use to have a dragon wrasse who would bury himself The pull shells over his hideout lol my sea pen like clockwork around 6 burys himself and around 8 in the morn he slowly pops back up Ames about half hour amazing to see:)

Snaz
09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
My two fish each have their favourite corners to hide in but what I like most about lights out are the crawlies that emerge. Mini white bristle stars, peanut worms and pods galore.

I obviously enjoy my tank during the day but I really get a kick out of night viewing. I have a strong LED flashlight with red cellophane on the lens that I use to poke around and observe the night critters without spooking them.

Nebthet
09-13-2010, 08:21 PM
When my lights go out;

- My 2 large clowns go to the middle back wall and sleep where there is a little hair algae hanging beside the AC70 inlet.
- My 2 small clowns either swim to the surface and frollic around while the moonlights are on, and once those turn off, the one stays in the corner, any corner, and the runt goes straight for the sebae anemone.

- Bengaii Cardinal hovers over the digis and keeps the larger clowns in place.
- Blue Devil Damsel disappears under some rocks at the back of the tank.
- Starry Blenny finds an overhang to sleep under.

Then the pods come out and the bristle worms, and spaghetti worms, asternia stars and the berghia nudibranches begin doing their work on the aiptasia in my tank.

naesco
09-13-2010, 08:28 PM
My two fish each have their favourite corners to hide in but what I like most about lights out are the crawlies that emerge. Mini white bristle stars, peanut worms and pods galore.

I obviously enjoy my tank during the day but I really get a kick out of night viewing. I have a strong LED flashlight with red cellophane on the lens that I use to poke around and observe the night critters without spooking them.

What happens is that almost all of the coral and a very few fish floresce.
In order to see it you need a focused LED flashlight or beam.
You need to have every light out and shut out outside light as well. It needs to be pitch dark.
It magnifys if you have a yellow lens (like from a camera) over the flashlight or your eye.

Spiny
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
my foxface expands all his spikes, turns camo pattern color and hides behind my birdnest