PDA

View Full Version : Building a plywood frag tank. Need some info!

IronRising
09-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of planning a build For a frag tank that has multi tiers out of plywood. It's cheap, easy to design with wood and should be nice and strong. My one issue is sealing the tanks. I've been doing some looking around online and two part epoxy seems to be the way to go. My one problem seems to be I can't find any that are fish safe in Alberta. I called a company in the states but it was 250 dollars for shipping for a 1 gallon paint can because the have to ship as a hazardous material. Does anybody know where I can get some in the Alberta area. Or can recomend a substitute to epoxy?

fencer
09-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I never used epoxy. Just glued it and there are enough screws to hold it tight. Painted it and siliconed it.

Edmonton newbie
11-15-2010, 02:59 AM
lee valley in edmonton stocks the west system .... same stuff you use for wood boats

fencer
11-15-2010, 03:10 AM
Must be food grade epoxy

zum14
11-15-2010, 08:13 AM
I used West systems on mine. I was informed once dry it was inert. Let us know how the coraline buildup on the plywood is. Thats really the only thing im worried about. Heres a couple pics of the one I did. I still havent got the glass cut for it yet.

sphelps
11-15-2010, 02:08 PM
I have a hard time seeing how plywood will be cheaper than glass for a frag tank. 1/4" glass is awfully cheap and a gallon of that epoxy paint is pretty expensive. Glass is also a lot easier and you'll have less exposure to the fumes which will shorten your life :wink:

Typically you can get 1/4" glass cut to size for no more than $5 per square foot. I suggest pricing this out before going though the trouble involved with a plywood build.

Binare
11-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I have a hard time seeing how plywood will be cheaper than glass for a frag tank. 1/4" glass is awfully cheap and a gallon of that epoxy paint is pretty expensive. Glass is also a lot easier and you'll have less exposure to the fumes which will shorten your life :wink:

Typically you can get 1/4" glass cut to size for no more than $5 per square foot. I suggest pricing this out before going though the trouble involved with a plywood build.

Agreed. I'd also look into that grow place on edmonton trail. You can buy cheap shallow tubs that are food grade plastic there. Sizes up to 4'X8' for less then a hundred bucks if memory serves me. Aint gonna build a plywood frag tank for cheaper then that.

mike31154
11-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes, it's a frag tank, West System epoxy is not cheap but it is after all a DIY thread and think of the possibilities & flexibility of a plywood build. You have the freedom to build it any size and shape you wish without too much hassle. Easily drill holes to your heart's content. Epoxy is totally inert once cured and provided you do the work in a properly ventilated space, the fumes while curing are not a problem at all. Many of us use two part epoxy putty for securing frags, so where the idea of toxicity comes from in this thread I don't know.

Although I haven't built a plywood tank, I have built a boat and I'm sure a rectangular vessel to hold some frags would not be that difficult. Fewer panes of breakable material to worry about. You don't have to get too fancy, but if you wish, you could get quite creative with wood, including inlays.

http://tskohg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pmTckT4H-eqpMnlUy99nec9_PHnJYLXViK0Y0JrsVJt3igBRt5l16Kg2gkF kQh91b0-GlR4ULoZUPBaCBYavdlDwQfbG3faK3/DCP_1146.jpg?psid=1

http://tskohg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pHfGdZi3bhvi-IgyRtlnHmyqYgVVHCT13Sz1cDAQtCry0Pr47qK0fWADpfkI96J PMNswEUuo0pPyw27oJ5fGEAH1TFzQW6VJ1/DCP_1148.jpg?psid=1

http://tskohg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pVQQ5W1YHV7Pl3JYRTaRHpGTnwr__7_Q8c0pS7BAr-MfNCbAR4216IbuI-BCg0l4trxLmXGCaueBG04OBxPEkutLoWTYVHHXs/DCP_1158.jpg?psid=1

http://tskohg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pgQOwTHfk7Xf8SmhWfbyxOeM-DEbbi_wTOe7ozjkqp22UYLzcPx58gkGp_mCVVnDA63lkWdonSH CqrxhJAdf0tML1J883j-zN/DCP_1171.jpg?psid=1

sphelps
11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Building a glass tank would still be a DIY project as much as a plywood tank. Although plywood can be shaped this is not an easy task nor do most people have the tools to do so and in addition I'm not sure what that benefit would be. Chances are the plywood tank would be identical in size and shape of what you would build from glass. Building a tank from plywood would be more difficult, you have to cut the material, glue and screw it together with pre-drilled holes, then you have to prep the surface and remove excess glue, then paint at least three coats of the most toxic paint I've ever used, and then finally silicone all the seams. Although the paint isn't toxic once dry it's horrible when you're painting it on and not many people have vented areas to work in.

Having built both plywood and glass tanks before I can assure you glass is easier and superior for most applications and is even easier to clean and maintain, not to mention it's clear.

With larger tanks or multiple small tanks plywood can be a good choice but in my mind the major advantage with a plywood build is cost savings. When building a plywood tank you have to use premium grade plywood which starts at around $60 per sheet, I can build a 36x24x12" glass frag tank for around $60-80 quite easily and it would only take around 30min.

jphong
11-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Where can you get enough glass to build a 36x24x12 tank for $60-80?

zum14
11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Building a glass tank would still be a DIY project as much as a plywood tank. Although plywood can be shaped this is not an easy task nor do most people have the tools to do so and in addition I'm not sure what that benefit would be. Chances are the plywood tank would be identical in size and shape of what you would build from glass. Building a tank from plywood would be more difficult, you have to cut the material, glue and screw it together with pre-drilled holes, then you have to prep the surface and remove excess glue, then paint at least three coats of the most toxic paint I've ever used, and then finally silicone all the seams. Although the paint isn't toxic once dry it's horrible when you're painting it on and not many people have vented areas to work in.

Having built both plywood and glass tanks before I can assure you glass is easier and superior for most applications and is even easier to clean and maintain, not to mention it's clear.

With larger tanks or multiple small tanks plywood can be a good choice but in my mind the major advantage with a plywood build is cost savings. When building a plywood tank you have to use premium grade plywood which starts at around $60 per sheet, I can build a 36x24x12" glass frag tank for around $60-80 quite easily and it would only take around 30min.

From most of the builds I have looked at and researched it works out that unless the tank is larger then like 200Gal its cheaper with glass. Plywood builds are great for huge builds (1000Gal and such) without breaking the bank. I agree I think there more work but easier for myself then working with glass (not much experience there) The other downside with plywood is most builds that follow up show limited long term results. Its a fact that epoxys and glues can fail with repeated cleanings and banging around and I havent heard of any 30year old plywood tanks yet (keeping my eyes and ears open), glass however is pretty common. But I also would like to know where your getting your glass from. A few pieces for my coast to coast was $150.

sphelps
11-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Well I just recently moved from Saskatoon, purchased all my glass from Aero Glass, they charged me $4/sqft for standard 6mm which included cutting and minimal edge work. I haven't purchased glass from Calgary since I've moved but I would assume a similar deal can be found. I know that $5/sqft is typically what most places charge which is how I came up with $60-80 (~$4-5/sqft) Now you might have to add a few bucks for an overflow if that's in the plan, it wouldn't effect my cost as much as I have to tools to drill and the extra glass needed is minimal. However glass shops typically charge $25 a hole if you order the glass through them, again this is based on my Saskatoon experience.

zum14
11-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Well I just recently moved from Saskatoon, purchased all my glass from Aero Glass, they charged me $4/sqft for standard 6mm which included cutting and minimal edge work. I haven't purchased glass from Calgary since I've moved but I would assume a similar deal can be found. I know that $5/sqft is typically what most places charge which is how I came up with $60-80 (~$4-5/sqft) Now you might have to add a few bucks for an overflow if that's in the plan, it wouldn't effect my cost as much as I have to tools to drill and the extra glass needed is minimal. However glass shops typically charge $25 a hole if you order the glass through them, again this is based on my Saskatoon experience.

Wow. Well it doesnt surprise me. My town kind of thinks we need to fund the rest of the province or something, I belive I got charged like 6 or 7$ a sq foot here in town for my glass.

sphelps
11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Wow. Well it doesnt surprise me. My town kind of thinks we need to fund the rest of the province or something, I belive I got charged like 6 or 7$ a sq foot here in town for my glass.
Yeah I'm sure the price varies not only from town to town but from store to store as well. If you're in a small town you will likely pay more, bigger cities should offer better deals.

I know even in Saskatoon some places would charge as much as $10/sqft so just knowing where to go is key. That's what I miss most about Stoon, the knowledge of where to get my fish stuff :lol: