PDA

View Full Version : flame angel deaths

brownd1
11-28-2003, 05:01 PM
hello

ii'm new to the hobby (lots of years with f/w)

I've had a small tank for a year & just recently setup a 50 gal reef tank

I had a flame angel for about a month, this fish had bee in the lfs tank for about 2 weeks before I bought it.

for the month that I had this fish it ate great , showed no signs of desease or injury.

This week it stopped feeding & hide in a corner

the next day I found it dead?!?!

I did a web search and found this article

Any comments ?!?!

http://www.amdareef.com/mc_ptsd.htm

Chad
11-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Thats an interesting article.. I have heard of this.. of course it is entirely possible that is the problem.

CHad

Perodogo
11-28-2003, 07:25 PM
:sad: Sorry about your loss.

I had a similar experience. My flame angel thrived for 3 months in my 500 gal aquarium, until one day, it refused to eat and then the next day, I found it dead! A closer inspection of the body showed that it's belly was bloated (I assumed at the time that it was probably constipated). The article mentioned something about the damage the stress does on the fish's digestive tract --- so now I'm thinking maybe it is related to what the article was talking about.

I never have luck with Flame Angels, so I've given up on this beautiful species.

Beverly
11-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Hmm... May help explain the massive die off of all my new angels last month :frown:

Buccaneer
11-29-2003, 01:52 AM
Hmm... May help explain the massive die off of all my new angels last month :frown:

I was thinking of you when I read that article ... you wonder what the survival rate would be for a bunch of other species if they were quarantined for 6 weeks :confused:

Cheers

Beverly
11-29-2003, 02:02 AM
Steve,

And I was thinking of restocking with a few more dwarf angels along with some other fish. Am going to ponder this issue before committing myself to what fish we will add to the 72g once we find out if the isopods we found in there are parasitic or not.

Have set up a 5g tank with three of the isopods, LR, sandbed, MA from healthy tanks with a chromis to see if they will attack the chromis. Almost two weeks and the chromis is still good.

Have posted a bunch of new photos of the isopod, as well as photos of some other critters, to Dr. Ron's forum at RC:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2049903#post2049903