PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of ammonia & nitrates

snow1
09-12-2010, 12:52 AM
How do I get rid of these? I can't use prime b/c someone told me it's not good for my skimmer. Do I just do a water change? If so how much and what do I add if anything if it will help? Or is there something I can buy to help me with this? It DOES NOT have to be reef safe treatment.

intarsiabox
09-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Ammonia should break down naturally from the bacteria in your tank unless your bio-load is too high or feeding too much. Water changes will reduce the nitrates, weekly 10% should be sufficient. I know a number of people who use prime (myself included occasionally) with skimmers with no ill effects. I don't know how effective it actually is at removing nitrates as it claims however. There is a number of products that claim to detoxify nitrates but I have no experience with them, water changes have always worked for me.

Wayne
09-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Ammonia should break down naturally from the bacteria in your tank unless your bio-load is too high or feeding too much. Water changes will reduce the nitrates, weekly 10% should be sufficient. I know a number of people who use prime (myself included occasionally) with skimmers with no ill effects. I don't know how effective it actually is at removing nitrates as it claims however. There is a number of products that claim to detoxify nitrates but I have no experience with them, water changes have always worked for me.

I agree with Jeff that water changes are the best way to reduce nitrates. I use Kent Marine Nitrogen Sponge because my tank is still fairly new and I don't want any swings. When I run out I doubt I will repurchase, not because its not a good product. I won't repurchase because proper feeding, live rock and regular water changes are enough to maintain 0 levels of Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

Flash
09-12-2010, 02:09 AM
i use prime and run a skimmer. always have and have had no issues. many fish stores that run skimmers also use prime in their water!

bowkry
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM
just turn your skimmer off for about an hour after you add water or do a water change. I have a rsm 250 and everything so far sets off my skimmer so when I add water or anything I shut my skimmer down, then just turn it on after. I also found on some of the more finiky skimmers a.p. water conditioner was way better, not the stuff with aloe but the basic stuff, my old aqua-c used to go retarded over any thing but that stuff

KeMo
09-14-2010, 05:08 AM
If you always are having ammonia in your tank your load is too high or you are over feeding. How much LR do you have in your tank ? How often do you feed and how are you feeding ? Nitrates are pritty normal . Fish can tolerate them on the lower levels . To have 0 nitrates in your water you will need to run a refug with chaeto in it or have a DSB.
Also like stated before turn of your skimmer when your doing your water change. I turn mine of as well as the lights . Becuase as the water level goes down the light impact will increase and it can bleach out some of your coraline or shock your corals.