PDA

View Full Version : Coral food

Reef-Geek
09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
I heard Rod's food is good but I cannot find it in Canada, are there any replacements for it?
BTW, what do u feed your corals and how often do you feed them?

Zoaelite
09-10-2010, 11:55 PM
The problem you really run into is that the term coral encompasses a vast assortment of highly specialized organisms. What an open brain eats is going to be different than what a Pavona coral eats which will be different from what zoanthids eat ect... Any particular species/ classification of coral you want to know?

Many advocate that the combination of fish waste and detritus work as the best food for coral but again we are talking about a phylum with well over 1250 different species in it.

Reef-Geek
09-11-2010, 12:00 AM
The problem you really run into is that the term coral encompasses a vast assortment of highly specialized organisms. What an open brain eats is going to be different than what a Pavona coral eats which will be different from what zoanthids eat ect... Any particular species/ classification of coral you want to know?

Many advocate that the combination of fish waste and detritus work as the best food for coral but again we are talking about a phylum with well over 1250 different species in it.

well, I am actually looking for a all in one food that will feed most of the corals, right now I have mushrooms,zoas,hammer,frogspawn,bubble,leather,GSP and a small acan. Can u please suggest a coral food for me?

uslanja
09-11-2010, 02:16 AM
Good Evening! We make our own food from fresh seafood that we pick up at the grocery store. There are many different recipes on line, so you can easily find one that you think suites your tank.

daniella3d
09-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Yes, Reefroids is excellent based on zooplankton, Coral Frenzy is another zooplankton based and very good. Fauna Marin Ultra seafan, and Ultra Min are 2 very good food. You could also try (at half dose) Zeovit Amino Acids which is great to enhance the sps colors.

A lot of my corals like frozen cyclopeeze. Frogspawn, hammer, candycane, zoanthids, palythoas, duncan and some gorgonians really like that food.

I alternate feeding between these fine foods:

Reefroids
Coral Frenzy
Fauna Marin Ultra Seafan
Fauna Marin Ultra Min
Oyster eggs
Rotifeast (rotifers)
DT Life Phytoplankton
Marine snow
Frozen cyclop

Zeovit amino acid
Zeovit sponge power

Plus once a week coral vitamines and trace elements.

For an all in one food I would recommand Reefroid, but I do not beleive that only one food can provide everything, especialy some coral like phytoplankton and some like zooplankton. In your case I would also add frozen cyclopeeze 2 times per weeks.

I heard Rod's food is good but I cannot find it in Canada, are there any replacements for it?
BTW, what do u feed your corals and how often do you feed them?

intarsiabox
09-11-2010, 04:43 AM
One of my tanks is mostly soft corals plus a hammer and open brain coral. Since last year my hammer went from 2 heads to about 30, my open brain has doubled in size and zoanthids, kenya tree, GSP & xenia have been prolific and I don't feed them at all. I have a few fish, good light and plenty of water changes, the corals only get what the fish do. If one is not careful in feeding these coral suspension foods there is another organism that loves it too, algae. If you feel that your corals are declining and need to be fed use very small doses at first and see if there is an actual difference in your livestock. I've used reefroids in the past on other tanks but can't say it made a difference. I only keep photosynthetic corals and no gonipora in this particular tank so fish waste, light and detritus has worked for this tank so far.

George
09-11-2010, 04:55 AM
well, I am actually looking for a all in one food that will feed most of the corals, right now I have mushrooms,zoas,hammer,frogspawn,bubble,leather,GSP and a small acan. Can u please suggest a coral food for me?

Get Piscene Energetics (PE) Frozen Mysis Shrimp. You can feed it to your hammer, frogspawn, bubble and acan. Your other corals don't need direct feeding.